Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Ordering some packages for next year. I am being quoted $80 per package w/ queen. I almost fell out of the chair. What prices are you hearing?

Scott

Sounds a bit high to me but it seems bees are getting harder to get or get them when you need to.I am paying $65 and think that is a bit high sometimes.2 years ago i went to a cheaper guy but had no luck with his bees.What kind of bees are $80.Mine will be Russians.
    Mitch KD8IMF

Wow. We've already seen a price runup in pollination contracts. Now packages are up. Live bees are probably as free-market as one can get these days, with no monopoly, centralized clearing, or uniform trading structure. It will be interesting to watch this develop throughout the spring.
    Wasn't so long ago that $80 would have bought a complete 1 or 2-deep established hive on this board.

p.s.
    Which reminds me...
    If I were as clever as many of the folks on this board I'd develop a site that provided a simple listing of current prices for different companies bees and supplies. It would be nice to be able to compare 10 prices on the same thing without using the sticky-note-on-the-catalog-page method.

[size="1"][ November 11, 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: coyote ][/size]
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Coyote,

That sounds good!. Why don,t we have people post for how much and from whom they are getting the price from. Then we can gather these all into one posting for easy lookup.

Just a thought.

Kieran
    \"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree<br />And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made<br />nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee<br />and live alone in the bee-loud glade.\"<br />-- WB Yeats

Coyote

perhaps something along these lines

http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/packages.php

this is the 30 minute version
    don't put real data in it
    bang on it and comment
    it let's you enter freeform text for a state, and then search by state
    I'll probably flush all the data occationally as I continue to refine it
    it's very crude at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what ideas come back

Dave

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Paid $135 CDN for packages this year, imported from New Zealand
    Happiness comes from within

3# pkg w/q (austrailian), picked up in modesto,ca. is 125.00.(beartooth apiaries)

Last year it hit $65 here. I haven't a price for this spring.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I hope to hold my prices to $50.00 per 2 lb package. puick up only
    Don

Here in New Brunswick, Canada, I paid $ 120.00 for a nuc ( 2 frames bees, two frames food )this spring.
    sterlingc

If things go right hope to have approx 100 single hives for sale with bottom, top, inner cover, 10 frames including 5 frames or more of bees and brood with 2006 queens for $100.00 each or $90.00 10 or more in used but sound equipment. Pick up in central Florida mid April or mid late April in central Kentucky. Also 4-5 frame nucs with brood honey and 2006 queen. $75.00 ea. book now and slect your queen type.. Russian, Italian(cordivian) carnolian. 25% down balance on pickup.

Eery place I have called to check out pricing and availabilty couldnt quote a price for 2006 until the beginning of next year.

C F Koehnen & Sons, Inc told me
    Pricing for shipment of two 3# Italian packages by UPS next day air from
    2005 was: $151.58. This price includes 2 new cages, bees, 2 fresh
    marked queens, and shipping.
    If I were to pick them up it would eliminate a $40-$50 shipping charge.

They said there will be an increase in price but they won't know until about January.

Very nice people though.
    All other places said to call back in January for 2006 prices.

I havent called Allens Bee Ranch yet. I did send him an email but it was returned as the email no longer existed.

Dang guys, seems like I want buy packages this year with those prices, I get a better deal a little later, they pay me $250.00 for a hive of bee's, I just need to supply the the wood and empty frames , im going to do walk-away splits this coming spring and collect swarms and removals. thats high price's for packages!!!!!

[size="1"][ November 12, 2005, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

I suppose the increased cost of bees will be reflected in a higher price for honey this coming year, eh?

Don't everyone stop laughing on my account...

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

yea george, I just went up a dollar a pint!!! if they can do it so can I.

[size="1"][ November 12, 2005, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

probably lots more folks chasing swarms this spring! BTW I paid 64 last spring for a 3pd package here in TX

Lew

I bought 3 - 2 1/2 pound packages last year for $43.00 each, I cant see 80 or more but they will go like the gas companies, if they are charging this then so will I, I know the cost will be more but not that **** much, its crazy if it is, just my thought's.

[size="1"][ November 12, 2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

Supply & demand. I ordered in February IIRC & bees were hard to find; most folks sold out already. If they don't sell @ 80 they'll come down; if they get scarce they may go up.

Lew

I paid $60 this past spring ('05) for 4 frame deep Russian nucs. By late summer, I had 2 surviving hives, which meant $300 per colony. I'm gonna be doing my own increases from now on.

it's very crude at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what ideas come back
    Looks like a good start to me. Since packages can be shipped I don't know that they need to be categorized by state. I'm kind of "page challenged" so I like to see everything on a single page that I can scroll up and down.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Coyote,

on the page to select a state, there's a choice for "all" that get's everything on 1 page

Dave