Thread: Ticks are out!

I am having a problem with ticks. Every time
    I go out to check on my bees, I come back with 2-3 ticks on me. What can I use to spread on the pasture that will kill some of these ticks that will not hurt my bees. I'm thinking Diaznon, but I'm a little reluctant.

Personally I spread chickens all over my pasture and the ticks disappear within days.

We use Guinea Fowl, once they are adults they are pretty independent foragers, and they will roam farther then chickens will.
    Michelle

I agree the Guineas will eat more ticks. I only have 3 acres and I don't need them eating the neighbors grass seed. Also I don't care for the constant racket. But they are very independant and vary pretty.

Take a piece of cotton like a bet sheet big enough to make a small bag and place some Sulfur in it and dust your pant legs and ankles. Been told that Ticks don't like Sulfur. Dale in S.E. Ks

To at least minimize the numbers being picked up, try looking under the telescoping lid edges. I noticed alot of ticks hanging out under the wood sides and in the crack thats created by the metal cover. I've had as many as 3-4 on one top cover corner alone.

I have used the sulpher and it helps, but it certainly does not eliminate the ticks on you.

Also, Bjorn is right, I've seen many ticks under the top cover. That may be where you're picking them up.

Thinking of using Diaznon is safe for the bees but using it will probably kill all your bees. Bees tend to colect Diaznon powder as if it were pollon and liquid Diaznon mist from spraying will almost instantly kill all bees. The bad thing is Diaznon is not real good at killing ticks.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

I would go with the Guinea Fowl. Not only do the keep tick away but that screeching they make will drive you crazy. I laugh every time I think about the couple that I sold mine to. I can see them now,looking at each other trying to figure out how the hell to get rid of them. LOL

When I know that I am going to be walking through tall grass I will hose my waste down to my ancles with OFF. That does the trick for me.
    Bill