I was digging up a patch of ground with a backhoe and dug into a yellow jacket nest the other day. Got stung twice before I noticed the mass of bees around the hoe. Needless to say, after turning off the power, I didn't use the steps to get off the backhoe. Next day I finished the job wearing my bee suite.

Tell us where your located.
    How large was the nest?Here in Alabama this year the yellow jacket nest have been very large.Some even filling the inside of an old 55 chevy car parked in a barn.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

I got stung a couple of times by yellow jackets while cutting wood the other day. They're really nasty. My right arm is still sore and swollen and itches horribly after 3 days.

I'd forgotten how nasty yellow jacket stings can be. Give me a honey bee sting any day! I tried a plantain poultice which does wonders for bee stings, but it had no significant effect on the yellow jacket stings.
    Dulcius ex asperis

We have more yellow jackets around this summer than I've seen for many years.

Anyone have a recipie for plantain salve?
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Here's how we keep the yellow Jacket pressure down on our farm. It's kind of rinky-dinky in the big picture, but it preoccupies them at the home site and captures manu of them:
    http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.c...5762976&page=1
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

&gt;Anyone have a recipie for plantain salve?

Sure. Mash a plantain leaf and put it on the sting. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I suppose you could blend a bunch up in the blender if you wanted a lot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I blended up a bunch of plantain leaves with some rubbing alcohol and keep it in a jar in my truck- mainly because my apiary is in an old blueberry field and there isn't any plantain growing nearby. There's plenty in my yard and driveway and along side the road and occassionally I'll pick 4-5 leaves and put them in my pocket when I'm heading out to the hives, but usually I'm not thinking that far ahead.

I've thought of grinding some up with some olive oil and beeswax but I haven't felt the need. Besides, the alcohol is cooling and soothing on a sting [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis