Angry

I picked up a small swarm a couple nights ago from one of my neighbors lilac bushes. They were about a half mile from my home 5 feet off the ground. I put them in a hive box ten frames of foundation some drawn used comb some undrawn. I set them up on a hive stand added another deep some drawn some not drawn. They stayed the night and appeared to be cleaning up the hive trying to keep intruder bees out. About 1 or 2 oclock afternoon a few bees hovered in front of the entrance and they all came crawling out made a big cloud and disappeared in the sunset.
    I'm wondering what that was about? The little freeloaders !!
    By the way I did put a frame of honey in the hive with some eggs in it, I thought there were unsealed brood but not.
    thanks...Bob

Hi Bob,

About 1 or 2 oclock afternoon a few bees hovered in front of the entrance and they all came crawling out made a big cloud and disappeared in the sunset

reply:

This can happen. When hiving swarms in the future put a queen includer (excluder) under the hive body to trap the queen in.

I'm wondering what that was about?

reply:

Was the honey capped? Try giving open nectar next time if you didn't.
    Did you feed them? With out feed bees can sometimes decide to take to the sky.

Clay

It could be that the bees didnt like the smell of the hive you put them it, if maybe it was freshly painted or had some oil, or other substance spilled on it. They may also have disliked the location, if they were facing west, without afternoon shade, if they were close to a freeway or airport, or foul smelling dogs or horses. They can be pretty picky. Even if everything is perfect, the queen can be a real vixen, and get a wild hair. I like the queen includer idea, but what if the bees were right? Regards, Paul

Hi Clay,
    Was the honey capped? Try giving open nectar next time if you didn't.RE: Some capped honey and some uncapped.
    Did you feed them? RE: No I hadn't gotten around to that yet but I intended to,next time I'll move faster.
    I really like the excluder idea also.
    How long would you leave an excluder on the bottom board after picking up a swarm?
    And what if she were a virgin?

thanks great info..Bob

I have ben catching swarms for 32 years, and this certainly was the year of multiple queen swarms and absconding swarms. I blame global warming.

Hi Bob,

How long would you leave an excluder on the bottom board after picking up a swarm?

reply:

Until the queen is laying in 5 frames with capped brood.

And what if she were a virgin?

reply:

You should know in about 8-15 days. If no eggs remove the excluder. I personally can spot queens and virgins with ease. But I realize some cannot. Warning: top entrances can allow bees to take off. I shook a colony down 3 days ago onto 4.9 it absconded out the notch in the inner cover. But I caught it in honey super stack I was using as swarm trap.

Clay