Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

third paragraph from the bottom

> In 1996, a swarm is believed to have gotten off a ship in Norfolk but wasn't discovered until it showed up in Maine, transported there by truck.

it's clear they've been getting introduced in this area for a long time
    as you suggest it's pretty obvious the authorities can't get all of them
    I'm trying to delude myself into believing that the fact they haven't gotten established means they can't survive here
    time will tell

Dave

[size="1"][ February 10, 2006, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ][/size]

I'm hoping they can't survive this far north or as far north as you are either, but I'm probably deluding myself, too.

since this is a CALM discussion, let me throw this in to lighten it up [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://charleston.craigslist.org/pol/122932731.html

talk about delusional [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

[size="1"][ February 10, 2006, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ][/size]

Here's a picture that's worth a thousand words:

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/media/gallery/ahbs.jpg
    Dulcius ex asperis

Has anybody acctually found a swarm on a ship? Where on a ship was it located?

I've seen ship going through the Eisonhower Locks, here near Massena, NY. They are big. But if there were a swarm of bees on any of the ships that I saw, I find it difficult to believe that people on board wouldn't come across it, at some time.

I have set out swarm lures, to attract swarms that might come off of ocean going vessels coming through the locks. But there aren't lots of ocean going ship going through the St. Lawrence Seaway, from what I was told by the Lock Master.

The swarm lure did attract a few bees, but not a swarm. There were no results from the sample that I sent off. There weren't enough bees in the trap or sample.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Thanks George. Is that Tony Jadzack? He told me, at the VT Beekeepers meeting, that he has experienced that sort of bee behavior. So, you bee cautious when you go collecting swarms after the blue berry pollinators are gone.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

>Thanks George. Is that Tony Jadzack?

Don't believe it. Came off the Tuscon Agricultural Research site. I was just poking around with Google Image search this morning and came across it.

>He told me, at the VT Beekeepers meeting, that he has experienced that sort of bee behavior.

Oh, so you finally met the guy! He's a riot to talk with- I spent an hour and a half on the phone with him the other day, he had me in stitches talking about all kinds of stuff, mostly queen rearing (he's putting on a seminar for some of us local beekeepers this spring) but we touched on about um.. everything, including AHB, which he believes is coming into Maine regularly with the migratory beekeepers and has been, for quite a few years.

The first AHB swarm to show up here in Maine was I believe about 10 years ago on a railroad car. Tony was there to greet it- this I heard I think over on BEE-L.

I'll be watching them blueberry swarms. My "hot" hive sends out 2-3 guards to pimp-cuff you a few times if you don't carefully and methodically smoke the entrance and under the inner cover before pulling the lid. That's a far cry from what most people mean when they say "hot" and not even close to what that poor beestard in the photo I posted above had to contend with [img]smile.gif[/img]

George-

[size="1"][ February 11, 2006, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: George Fergusson ][/size]
    Dulcius ex asperis

since this is a CALM discussion, let me throw this in to lighten it up
    http://charleston.craigslist.org/pol/122932731.html
    talk about delusional
    Not all that delusional - we've been working on
    a very similar project here at Fischer Alchemy
    for a few years, but we've had problems with
    the ion drive - tough to make one that small..

http://bee-quick.com/pix/robo.jpg

> Here's a picture that's worth a thousand words:

Looks like he forgot lighting the smoker...

> Dulcius ex asperis

That's probably the best motto for beekeeping I have ever seen, George. It's pure beekeeping!

João

>That's probably the best motto for beekeeping I have ever seen, George.

It's the Clan Fergusson motto. It seemed rather appropriate [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678