Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Noticed on BWeaver's site that he is already sold of of package bees. Seems early. A shortage looming?

They way most people and business's maintain their web sites, don't you think that is a left over message from last season?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I just got an e-mail from my supplier warning of sticker shock for this year, up $5-$7 on the 2# pkgs and $7-$9 on the 3# pkgs. Shortage is potentially blamed on ineffective varroa treatment, and resulting winter kill, resulting in higher demand. Higher honey and pollen prices also are expected to increase demand.

i have a friend that told me B.weaver was sold out but Rweaver still had a few left to sell.
    Ted

I had tried to order some from B weaver last week but they said on the phone they were all sold out but I was able to order all I needed from R weaver however when I talked to them they seemed to have some available for the 3rd week in april and very limited amounts the first week in april everything else was sold out..that was a little over a week ago .and this time of year they may be all sold out by now.

chellesBees, not sure if your supplier is the breeder or a middleman. But most places (breeder, bollingbees, Hardemans, Shumans, Strachans, etc.), I spoke with this year have increase in the 3 or 4 dollar range. Thats seems like a big mark-up.

I had just ordered (queens) from strachans for april and they mentioned that they are just about sold out through may. It does seem very tight this year. Alot of beekeepers expanding due to honey prices. And it seems as if a "renewed: interest in beekeeping is here. Alot of hobbiests and beginners.

Bollingbees out of Alabama still has some April dates for queens. Not sure about packages.

I have spoken with most package producers on the east coast and can assure you that many are already sold out or only have May shipment dates available.
    They too like to make a profit, so many of them have standing orders years in advance.
    I believe there is a renewed interest on hobbiest parts.

hey chellesbees- where are you in Wyoming, MN? I used to live there too (that was 2 years and 2 moves ago) I got the same e-mail as you. Kind of a bummer since I was planning on increasing my hive # this year.

If these new Varroa treatments we are hearing about (Formic Acid and the Fungus) maybe even more people will be taking up beekeeping.

Don't forget that there are thousands of hives in CA of commercial beekeepers that crashed this Fall due to Varroa. Those that are alive may be too weak to make as many splits as usual. I'd expect a very tight supply of packages & queens this Spring.
    Gregg Stewart

I still have packages for April delivery. 3-lb. packages from Wilbanks. Wilbank's well-known Italians. Pickup (near Albany, NY) April 17 between noon and 3:00 PM or April 18 from 8:30 until noon. $59 each. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also taking orders for May delivery of 4-frame nucs.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

There will be plenty of packages this year. There is plenty of moisture in the south and west for good pollen and nectar flows. Everyone has been persuing hygenic and SMR genes in their stock for the time chemical resistance comes. All the breeders knew this was coming and the universities have helped them. The survior colonies will be very strong and have plenty of bees. We all need to be raising a few queens from our stongest colonies. I just placed a order for 100 packages and was told not a problem plenty of bees but the cost is going up a few $$$.

I will have a limited amout of packages and nuc's pick up heresome on small cell and some on large cell starting in april.=Don I usely don't advertise but might help a few

Hi tnttommy
    I'm on the Northeast just outside of town. Out Viking Blvd, just before the trailer park. My bees are out at Pinehaven Farm (across the freeway)
    Where were you when you were here?

I was just East of the city out 22, in the township by literally 1 block. Had a great spot there, but alas- it's someone else's now. Does anyone keep hives at the pumpkin patch out 22? I always wondered that.

tnttommy
    you were almost directly south of me by about a mile. To my knowledge there are no hives at that pumpkin patch. (Lendts) I'm afraid they do a lot of spraying there though too. I know of other hives in the area that would cover that farm though. The one hive I've tried keeping in my yard never did well, more problems here always than the other hives across the freeway.
    BjornBee, my guy is a middle man, actually a dealer for Mann Lake, he goes and gets them by the trailer full (I don't know where from) and is somewhat limited by the amount he can haul. By the time you figure shipping to Minnesota, the price tends to go up a bit more too, plus, we don't even start hiving packages 'till mid April, so we are kinda towards the end of the supply line

I order 12 from kellys and they said that they had no shortage this year

I guess I'm lucky...can get queens mid March here, and packages two weeks later.

BubbaBob

I'll have nucs for sale from caught swarms of unknown origin for pickup starting in May.

I got an e-mail from beecommerce today stating that there will be a great shortage because of commercial operations having bad losses last year and I should order early while I still can.

Did I mention that I will have nucs for sale from caught swarms of unknown origin for pickup starting in May?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Heres the latest info I can get.....If YOU WANT PACKAGES you better order now! THERE will be a shortage contrary to rainesendfarms opinion! THere is the largest bee loss since the mites hit in the early 90's late 80's. Bees are still dying! Appears to be a virus maybe related to vms. Bees in Fl are not building..maple didnt bloom due to folage removed by hurricanes. Willow hasnt bloomed yet. I have lost 25% of bees I took to Fl.....some with 2 frames brood and plenty honey and pollen. Not a high mite count> IM NOT BY MYSELF....numerous reports of the same situation are everywhere. A large commercial texas beekeeper who sells packages/queens who I know personally has lost 60% SINCE CHRISTMAS and this was only discovered end of last week. He said 10% were in good shape 20% would probably make it and he would loose another 10%. Bet he wont have any packages! Reports like these are everywhere if you talk to the commercial people. I know of two loads of bees that went to Ca for almonds and looked good leaving Fl. Three weeks later they were 50% dead. I also know of two loads (1000 colonies) that were shipped from mid us and were sent back dead. Alot of this is resistant mites. the belief is the rest may be a virus related to the mite. There will be a loss of 40-50% overall from what im told! Also if you study the mite it does better in the shade/cool area. 2005 was a wet cool summer! add that to resistance and bang! I have never lost bees after getting to Fl in late Dec. whats living is NOT building up normal either...all this leads to problems!
    Rick

I have to agree with suttonbeeman. I called a friend in Florida yesterday to see how his package business was shaping up. He is booked up through the second week of April and expects within a week to be solid through early May. The price seems to be up for 2lb by about $5 and for 3lb up about $7. Queens are averaging about $15 under 10 and about $14 for more than 10. It is not normal to be booked this far in advance this early in the season!

Fusion