Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Good or Bad Honey Supers?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TheCrazyBeeMan 
#1 ·
I have a question about my supers and if they are still good to use. I extracted last year and had no time to get the bees to clean the super of the excess honey due to the time of year. So I had to find somewhere to place them with out getting everything sticky. So I came up with the idea of putting them in plastic bags to seal them from the air and moths and not getting everything sticky. What I did not think of and now am concerned about is what if anything did the plastic do . I used new plastic garbage bags they did not come in contact with the frames. I opened them up and they seemed fine. I want to make sure because I would hate to poison my bees or the people with bad honey. If I have made a mistake well I will just have to start over again. If I could get some help on this question I would be very thankful.

#5 ·
The first year I kept bees I tried the same thing with drawn brood combs not realizing that it didn't do any good to keep moths out when their eggs were already in the comb. Needless to say when I opened the bags a few months later there was nothing left but wood, wire, and a pile of webbing. Had I frozen them first, it probably would have worked ok.

Moths apparently have no interest in comb from supers if they've never had brood in them.

I agree with the others, the plastic bags themselves are harmless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.