Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

sugar in combs

3K views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  Pollinator 
G
#1 ·
How do you extract honey that has turned to sugar from the combs?

G
#2 ·
I usually save some honey in the comb for spring feeding. Crystallized honey is okay for this, though it is probably not very good for fall feeding. -Biggest problem is keeping mice out of it during winter storage.

If I have to extract it, I get the comb as warm as I can, and use a capping scratcher or even the hive tool to gouge out the honey down as close to the midrib as possible. Then I warm the honey to liquify. This degrades the quality of honey somewhat, and you'll have a lot more wax to process. You can also have some comb that just crumbles and is ruined. If the foundation has no wires, plastic base, etc., you might want to just cut the comb from the frames.

G
#3 ·
I usually save some honey in the comb for spring feeding. Crystallized honey is okay for this, though it is probably not very good for fall feeding. -Biggest problem is keeping mice out of it during winter storage.

If I have to extract it, I get the comb as warm as I can, and use a capping scratcher or even the hive tool to gouge out the honey down as close to the midrib as possible. Then I warm the honey to liquify. This degrades the quality of honey somewhat, and you'll have a lot more wax to process. You can also have some comb that just crumbles and is ruined. If the foundation has no wires, plastic base, etc., you might want to just cut the comb from the frames.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.