Hey there. Does anybody know of a use for the boxes that my bees came in? After hiving the 120 swarms that I picked up from spell bee (good bunch of guys, and the bees are excellent so far) I'm left with a small mountain of boxes. It would be a shame to give them the heeve-ho if there was some other use for them. Any ideas?

------------------

Over here the bee supply store where the package is bought at buys them for $2.00 a piece

I've seen bee vacs that are made to hold one of those with a hole in the end for the hose. When you fill one up you staple a screen over the hole and hook up another.

I have cut them up for small pieces of wood for working on hives. They are usually about 3/8" thick which is handy for many things.

If someone will buy them back that sounds like your best bet.

Acutally, now that I think about it, someone was selling them on Ebay. They probably got way more than they are worth and made the buyer pay the postage besides.

The screen is good for making hive top feeders to keep the bees out of the sugar water. It is also good for reducing entrances when it is still warm.
    James

Market them as butterfly cages for $10.00 a piece. I pay a $5.00 deposit on mine.

You can use them to makeup your own package to start new yards or 4 sale. It is another options vs. splits or nucs and there pretty light and easy to move.

Warmed me up on a cold night...

J Fischer had the thought that the small hive beetle could hide in the crevices. With that in mind, as well as knowing the beetle was in Ga (the home of the packages), I burned mine.

Dickm

excellent cricket cages.

I was interested in making a few mating nucs for some of the extra queens that I have gained from swarm cells. I removed the screen from one side of the box,removed the inner supports for the syrup can, and since they were cut to the right length I reattached one to each side approx. 5/8" from the top, this would serve to support my frames which I made from plans on this site, with just modification to maintain bee space. The size swarm box I have was just perfect to hold five frames. I added a simple wood top, drilled a 3/4" hole in one end, added foundation. And now I have a screened bottom mating nuc.

Might be too much ventilation for a mating nuc, but I suppose you can close the screen in with most anything if it is.

It's still experimental as I have yet to introduce bees's and a queen. But the ventilation issue had crossed my mind. Also of course the time it took to constuct this box might have been better spent just putting together a full size 5 frame nuc. I was just making use of material on hand on a rainy Saturday.