Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Location Options - Advice

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Butterchurn 
#1 ·
Here are the options I have so far to place my hives. Which location would you select?

1. Flat garage roof (easy access, black rubber coating)next to large wildlife preserve. Room for one or two hives on roof. Gets 1/2 day sun. If I place at ground level, limited sun, mostly shade. Distance from home - 19 miles.

2. Location with 3/4 day sun, next to small alfalfa field. Two to three acres of wildflowers grown across the road by neighbor. Land owner has some asters planted. Bees would need to be placed next to cornfield. Location very windy. Distance - 21 miles.

3. Rural location next to swamp. Very shady, not much sun. Distance - 10 miles.

4. Homeowner of 10 year-old girl I'm mentoring in beekeeping. Her parents say my bees welcome. Location next to farmland that has been left to grow wild. Used to be pasture land for cattle. I can see more sumac than I've ever seen in my life. Small stream nearby. Advantage - I could check on how my protege's bees are doing while checking mine. About 1/2 to 3/4 day sun. Distance - 7 miles.

What do you think? I'm very indecisive.

Thanks!

Ron

See less See more
#7 ·
I remember how the black streets used to burn my feet when I was a child.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the roof top will be HOT! in the mid-summer sun. That will make the bees work overtime trying to keep the hive cool.

I think I would avoid the black roof top.

#8 ·
Bees do pretty well most places. I'd put your own convenience first. Make sure you can drive right to the hive. Make sure it's not a long drive to go check on them. etc. In the case of mentoring, the student will get a lot more opportunities to watch them if they are right there.

#9 ·
I'm convinced, number 4 it is. As far as bears are concerned, site number 1 would be the most risky. Bear tracks visible in preserve. Bears do show up once in a while any place in the twin cities area - just one in a housing development yesterday. Happens every other year or so. For option #4, bears less likely, anythin possible though.

Option 4 has great road access, I can drive right up next to hives, within feet if I so desire. It is a semi-residential area, home owner will be erecting fence around bees to keep children out and we are putting signs on fence. Hive location not in area where children congregate, but children probably will come to investigate once they find out about the bees presence - hence the fence. Also, entrances will be turned to face the farmer's field. The fence line is overgrown with brush which will cause the bees to fly up and over.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.