Thread: Sucrocide

The new Better Bee catalog includes a description of this "new Biochemical miticide for varroa mite control", to be sprayed directly on frames of brood. Has anyone used it, or does anyone have more information?
    Thanks-

Do you know the name of the product??

Daisy: the chemical is sucoride (check the title )

Margot: check out the dadant and mann lake catalogs thay have more info.

opps sorry daisy maybe i should watch my tipeing the chemical is Sucrocide

It is not a very convienant treatment. You have to pull each frame out and spray it on both sides. You can use a pump up type spayer, oh boy... and you can expect 80% mite knock down.

I don't think I will be in line for this one, espicially when oxalic is so easy to use and much more effective.

I have two packages coming in April - plan on spraying the bees while they are still in their cage in the morning before setting them into their hives in the late afternoon.

Martin

Hi Martin

Sucrocide was discussed at the ABF in Florida, and spraying packages as an application was mentioned too. Just a warning – be careful not to drown too many bees.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

Cool

OK thanks for the info...

I sprayed like this last summer with my lemongrass stuff.

I'll be doing it again this year in late July or early August...

I like to know what the product is made with/from. Bio such and such, doesn't tell me much. LOL

Well from the name (if its an indicator and not just a tradename), it may be made from sucrose somehow.

sucrocide?

Dusting them with powdered sugar is cheaper, by far, and won't drown as many bees and is up to 90% effective at dislodging the mites. Just pull the can of feed and the queen out, and dust it from the sreen side of the box. Agitate it well and it will dislodge the mites.

Cool

They don't ship to Kansas Daisy. But they will ship to me in Missouri.If your lemongrass mix is working why bother?
    What is that stuff? -Cide on the end is a killer.

I'll pass on that one.

Martha

On Dec 26th I posted a link to the EPA's evaluation of Sucrose Octanoate.

Here's the link to my post:
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001239.html

>Just pull the can of feed and the queen out, and dust it from the sreen side of the box. Agitate it well and it will dislodge the mites.

MB, can you be a little more descriptive? I'm worried about bashing their little brains out against the side of the cage. Do I want to set up a rolling sea sort of motion or do I want it to look like the inside of a corn popper? How physical do I have to get to knock the mites loose? How much sugar will it take to dust a 3# package,...a tablespoon?...a cup?
    Thanx
    George

A couple of tablespoons full will cover a package pretty well. Just shake them enough to distribute the sugar. The bees will be clustered and you have to break up that cluster enough to get sugar to the middle of it. Obviously it's a matter of "just right". Too hard is not good and too softly won't dislodge them. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's like grandma's recipes where you put a "little" of this and a "dash" of that. It's hard to quantify.

If the bees are all white like they've been rolling in white pollen, then you got it.

I suppose you could do it more gradually, like sprinkle some from each side of the package and then knock down the cluster and then repeat until they look like they are nicely "floured".

hopefully somebody comes up with a way to administer this stuff in a fog or vapor form. i dont know of anyone that will be using it in the current method.

The powdered sugar method is just as good, much cheaper and just as much work. To do it on a hive you either use one of the fume methods to run all the bees out of the hive and powder them then put them back.

I agree if they got the sucrocide in some kind of fogger it would have some promise.

So far I like the oxalic acid better for a once a year treatment. The FGMO fog is a bit more work, but if you hives are in your back yard it's not that much trouble.