Thread: Wives and Bees

Big Grin

A year ago after many heated debates with my wife; I installed my first two hives. She didn't want them anywhere on our property (11 acres). I kept telling her that I would put them on the backside of the property and she wouldn't even know they were there. She still wouldn't agree to it. I got them anyway. She eventually would go with me to check on them and I would bring a frame of bees up to the truck window with it rolled up of course for her to look at. This year she wanted to get in my suit and me just in a vale and look at the hives. Last week she went with me to help install 4 nucs. Yesterday she asked me to order her a suit. "Who'd a thunk it".

Has anybody had a similar experience?

[This message has been edited by twlankford (edited April 25, 2004).]

And in guess whose pocket she will stuff the cash from all those honey sales on up the road....If I'm not home, I never see a dme from my honey sales....the daughters are the worst "allowance supplicators".....

Ya better hold on to that queen bee!

I'm hoping the same story comes true for my husband. He thinks I'm absolutely nuts and wants no part of my new hobby. I have the hives at a friend's house. My daughter has gone from thinking I'm loony to being very excited about the burr comb I brought home...she'll be hooked soon!

My wife would not go near bees for the first year. She too warmed up to them, even went to capture a swarm by herself once.

Big Grin

My wife and I took BK calsses at the same time, se is not as hooked as I am but we enjoy presenting
    bee information to school children.
    Oh by the way her name is Bea so I am the " B " keeper

<she wanted to get in my suit>

Does she know you are posting this?

Dickm

My husband thought I had lost my mind!The first year he would not do anything but shake his head and walk away, But now he does all the lifting (even though I am able to do it--"I don't need to be lifting those heavy things". He has designed new/different hive stands.He bought me a air-stapler, reorganized our building to give me the largest room for honey/bee stuff, thought I needed an extract all my own, tells me to get the bee stuff order ready and we drive 3 hrs. to pick it up and then we rent a hotel room so we can visit another dealer in another town! And HE decided that I should increase my hives to 10 "because he was helping me". Now when any one asks about the bees he'll answer first--he seems to enjoy it as much as I do!! It's wonderful!!!

How long does it take to get your husband interested? Mine will help only under duress and even then, the help's only minimal. He builds stands and imirie shims & such, but totally freaked when I wanted him to cut a branch while I held it so that I could reclaim a swarm--he just couldn't handle the sight of all those bees, so I sent him on his way because his nervousness was more of a detriment than an asset, and I did it myself. Wish I could stir up some interest in him, but no matter what I try, no dice.

I think you have to accept that some people take to bees and some don't. It's just the way it is. Some people don't like it at first and then get facinated. Others never get interested.

Face it, you have to be a little crazy to like all those thousands of stinging insects.

dtwilliamson Guest

My wife too thinks I'm nuts....I'm getting my bees again after a 12 year hiatus. Haven't had any since I've known her. I did mention that at somepoint down the line we could get some beeswax and make candles and such.... Now that got her attention and she seemed to like that idea. Maybe that'll get her hooked.... Keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Wink

My wife isn't that progressive, but she has been making some progress.
    After getting married she said "no way would we ever have bees on our property"
    When my father bought me a hive I put it at the farm 3.5 miles down the road.
    Then I installed an obersvation hive in the back shed behind our house and would bring them in the kitchen on cold nights.
    My youngest boy 1.5 years would cry and plead to see the bees by saying "bees?...bees?"
    Now she will sometimes talk about how to advertise the honey and how to market it.
    We still have a ways to go before I buy her a suit!
    I doubt it will ever happen...
    Jason

what an interesting topic. My wife has known for years that I am a few marbles short of a full pouch. She won't let me put a hive in her garden but if I move the bees off the place she insists that I leave at least one here so her rasberries get polinated. I doubt she will ever get interested enough to get a suit, but who knows, she has grown to love some of my other interests such as the horses, mules and our pet bobcat, maybe the bees will be next.
    Sweet summer to you all
    Earl White

Cool

I found that the observation hive is the best way to get anyone interested in bees, after watching them for a while people usualy get curious enough to come watch while you work the hive, each time coming closer and closer untill they want to wear the suit so they can get realy close or even help, after that they are ususaly hooked. my wife is still scared of anything with more than four legs but will come down and help when I work with the bees especially at harvest time. This of all times is the most fun for the uninitiated all that beautiful comb and delicious honey who wouldn't want to help?

Hey scsasdsa, Great idea. I think I will put one in our sun room. That would also be great for the grandkids to watch. Now to convince the wife I need to bore a hole thru the sunroom wooden member. Maybe I should do that while she is not here.

Thanks, Earl White

My wife wasn't too crazy about the idea. her biggest concern was the startup expenses. Which is one of the reason I got into Top Bar Hives. It still took me 3 years to actually get bees again though. Sometime or other always got in the way during the spring. This year I put my foot down and bought the lumber and bought the packages. I had Zeke, a friend of mine, go into it with me to help offset the costs.

All in all though, my wife is still scared of the bees, but too stubborn to show it. I did get her to stick her head nearly inside the hive to look at the cluster at the front the day after installation. She's not afraid to go near the hives right now. Maybe towards the end of this year I will have her helping me. She likes the idea of candles.

Also when I thought a hive went queenless, and I purchased an extra queen I didn't need for $23 (priority shipping). She was a little upset about that additional expense, but when I told her that maybe I could sell the NUC I can make from my 3 hives + this queen for between $100-$150 she wasn't as upset. I am going to build an observation hive for it though, but it will be NUCed for a little while while I save enough money to buy the glass and lumber.

Wink

Single Native American/ Scottish male with 5 fives. Christian and environmentalist. Non-smoking/ non-cursing/ non-drinking. Loves children, flowers, and cross-country backpacking. serious equiries only please.