Met my new neighbors today who bought a home I had been envying ever since it went up for sale: Large greenhouse, water garden, tropical garden, large sunroom, fenced backyard, mother-in-law house separate from the main home AND complete with a honeybee swarm in crevice in a live oak tree about 4 feet off the ground.

Finally found the source of the honeybees visiting my gardens. The new owner wants them out. I told him that if he does not screw with the bees, they won't screw with him. I asked him to please not poison them and he said he would not, allowing me time to find a bee keeper willing to move the swarm.

So, if anyone in south Louisiana or southern Mississippi or elsewhere wants some free bees, I am providing the contact info of the person with the hive. It was too dark to photograph the hive, but I will do so after I am paroled from my computer on Wednesday evening and post the pics to the forum. I would love to take the bees, however I don't have my hive yet nor have I gotten my yard up to specs (permanent water source, 6-foot fence, etc) to comply with East Baton Rouge Parish laws on bee keeping.

If you are interested in a FREE swarm of honeybees, contact Charles Johns at 225-246-2678. Both Charles and I live in Melrose Place Subdivision in Baton Rouge, LA. If you take the bees, I would love to meet you and assist in the bee removal and perhaps lean a few tips from you bee masters.

This may be a hard removal. The swarm is in a crevice of a trunk of an ca. 60-year old tree. A bee brush and a bucket or what ever may work. Maybe a vacuum if one exists to suck up bees without hurting them??? Crevice is ca. 3 to 4 inches on average.

I will also contact the Louisiana Bee Keeping Association next. Just giving any of you LA/MS beekeepers the first chance on the bees.

James
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

Another member asked for more info and pics on the hive.

This morning I found out there is another beekeeper in my neighborhood. Not quite sure were he lives yet. Perhaps the hive in Charles' yard could have come from the other person's yard. The tree bees look exactly like the ones pollinating my gardens. Bees in my yard are concentrating on my mint gardens as well as the Salvias.

Base of the bee tree is landscaped with a ring of cast iron plants and a small azelea. This morning on my way to work, I walked right up to the hive (per Charles' permission) and snapped some pics. Bees were quite calm and didn't seem to mind me being next to their home. Guard bees and such were gathered at the base of the crevice with field bees returning from foraging and others leaving.

Here are the pics of the hive:

Hive in this pic is the dark void in the trunk of the tree:

http://www.ranger146.com/N_Leighton_...s/bee_tree.jpg

These pics are actually verticle, but I left them landscape to provide better clarity.

http://www.ranger146.com/N_Leighton_...pean_bees1.jpg

http://www.ranger146.com/N_Leighton_...pean_bees2.jpg

http://www.ranger146.com/N_Leighton_...pean_bees3.jpg

If you or anyone else is interested, give me a call at 225-803-5406 and I can take you right to the hive after coordinating with Charles or you can call him directly.
    James Henderson

James, what's going on with that hive? I'm not quite sure how to go about removing that one. It seems like such a narrow opening to work through. I have heard of mesh cone methods, but never tried, I've been told that there are mixed results with that method. If someone can suggest a means of removing this hive, on the spot, without any trips back, I will consider fooling with the hive. I always try & get brood comb & the queen, on this one I don't see how you could get either.

JP,

I talked with another beekeeper with the Capital Area Beekeepers Association (Baton Rouge) last night. The person mentioned based on what I described (hive location/size), it may be impossible to locate and even capture the queen as well as many of the bees. Especially as the oak tree will not be cut down. Guess the hive will be destroyed by the owner.....why couldn't the swarm have come to my yard where they would have a permanent home in one of my old growth oaks?

This spring I'll have my own hive of Italians.
    James Henderson

James, Maybe you can show this thread to your neighbor and convince him to wait and let you do it in the spring, when you have eggs and larva to bait with.

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...=003489#000000

I started this thread because I didn't know anything about trapping. These guys guided me through a successful catch and I repeated it a week later. With the people you have on this forum, anything is possible.