I was looking at the two queens on the December cover of Bee Culture and noticed that the 2004 queen is significantly darker than the daughter. Is this by chance or does the queen's color change with age?

I do think that her color changes as she ages
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Not by much. But maybe slightly. If she's dramatically different, it's a different queen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I suppose it's possible a queen might change color slightly as she ages. Think about humans; depending on the season, even, my skin varies considerably in color, and my hair tends to bleach out a little when I've been out in the sun a lot.

Color is highly variable from one bee to the next, even in the same hive. If a dark queen mated with light drones, I would expect the offspring -- including any new queens -- to be lighter in color than their mother.

They can vary quite a bit in the first few hours after they hatch, but I haven't noticed any significant change after that.

-Tim

>They can vary quite a bit in the first few hours after they hatch, but I haven't noticed any significant change after that.

That's true. Sometimes they are transparent gold when they come out and black by the next day.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They change from year to year also. Last year I saw some green, this year queens sported blue, and I am told that white will be all the rage next year.

[img]smile.gif[/img] I was at the State Fair at the Beekeeping booth and I got the same question over and over, that I always get when people look at my observation hive. "Is the queen born with that colored spot?"