I have a new package that I hived last thursday. Everything seems fine. The queen was released on Monday. They are building comb and are quite busy. I saw bees coming in with pollen on Wednesday. The only problem is the don't seem to be taking much syrup. i have 2 quart mason jars with lids that I poked holes in and inverted into small frames I made to hold the jars. I had to fill one on Monday as it was about 3/4 empty. They have only drank about 1/2 of one of the jars. Should i change the the syrup, could it go bad? Is there something wrong? I didn't scorch the syrup as it was never hot enough. Is it okay that they are not taking that much syrup. I lifted the our cover this morning and removed one of the jars and put the other one right over the opening in the inner cover. I don't plan on opening the hive to check anything besides syrup until Sunday. Any advise?
    With Loving Kindness toward all Sentient Beings

If they are drawing comb well then they have full bellies. It could be that the foragers have just found a rich supply of nectar.

I agree with Terri. I have seen this happen on many occaisions. When the bees find a rich nectar source they have less interest in the syrup.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

I agree with both of you, I have even seen the bees neglect spilled honey when a good nectar flow is on.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

When the bees are more interested in the nectar than the syrup, I don't consider that a problem.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have top feeders which hold a little over a gallon on my hives. When I first put my packages in they were drinking like drunken sailers. Now they seem about as interested in the syrup as I would watching paint dry on the wall. I noticed this all came about when we had a lot of blooms in my area. They seem content and doing good. I am told this is par for the course so I am not worried. Good luck

Ditto...ditto...ditto...ditto

They've found something better.

I'm seeing it here also.

Yippeee for spring.

Jim