Thread: new bee smokers

hi whanting to know if any one seen this bee smoker or has used it in there operation. and if you have do you like it. looks cool www.newbeesmoker.com
    eaglesbee
    utah

jfischer Guest

Heck, every generation has attempted to re-invent the smoker. Why should ours
    be any different?

At first viewing of the video, all I
    can say is "Wow, what a Kludge!"
    But it might just catch on.

"Propane-powered" sounds like a great idea,
    but how does replacing a mere fire hazard
    with an pressurized canister of explosive
    gas improve employee safety? What happens
    after you bang one around in the back of a
    truck for a season?

The interesting thing is the need for some
    sort of special liquid. The money is never
    in the razors, but in the BLADES!

The best modification I ever made to a
    smoker was to stick a cork in it to snuff
    it out. Everything else was of dubious
    value, but I do plan on trying the soup-can
    hack mentioned elsewhere in this maze of
    twisty conversations.

[This message has been edited by jfischer (edited November 28, 2004).]

Looks like a crude fogger. I wonder if the special liquid is FGMO. I won't be standing in line for this one.

Crude foger using liquid smoke. Lots of hot steam. Price will be too high, but then again I think smokers are priced way to high for what they are.

Looks like overkill to me too.

I like the Rauchboy smoker, because of it's ability to stay lit better, but have found the soup can insert in a regular smoker to be just as effective and much cheaper.

I did one more addition to that soup can system. I cut three squares in the bottom of the can and bent them down as legs to hold it up about 1/4" from the bottom.

But other than that, I guess I think the reason that the smoker has been around for 120 years without any significant improvements is because it works very well.

thanks everyone
    I seen the ad for it in the abj in the video it sure puts out alot of smoke
    I myself use very little smoke on the hives like to find the mean ones from the gentle ones. Thought it would make a good fogger for fgmo.

question
    In the bee culture there was an article on sumac smoke. out here in Utah there isnt alot around does anyone think this is a good idea and used it?
    thanks
    eaglesbee

Dried sumac berries make good smoker fuel if they're handy, and they're handy here. As far as mites, I find that sumac and tobacco increase mite drop but not enough to make much difference in the long run. In order to make a noticable difference you'd have to smoke them very heavily and I don't think that's good for the bees. But if you want to use tobacco or sumac in your smoker for fuel, it works well enough as smoker fuel and drops a few more mites.

IMO I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to get sumac to smoke your bees.

sumac? THat stuff will tear u up wont it? Like poision ivy and oak but worse. Is that the same as what yall are talking bout?

We've discussed it before and you can search on those discussions.

But, no Sumac is not poisonous, is used as a tea that is high in vitaman C and as a spice in Europe. The latin name is Rhus coriaria L. Sumac is a nice small tree with wood that has a pithy center. It has been popular with American Indians for pipe stems because it's easy to hollow it out.
    http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Rhus_cor.html http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/sumac.html

Poison Sumac is another plant. I think it's a regional thing what gets called this, but often it's Toxicodendron vernix.
    http://www.ivystat.com/poison-sumac.htm?source=overture http://www.jaxmed.com/articles/Diseases/p_sumac.htm

Where I've lived sometimes Toxicodendron diversilobum gets called poison sumac, but I'd call it poison oak.
    http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0802.htm

I sent an e-mail to the guy on Sunday about the cost, but he has not responded yet. I would not sit on an e-mail from someone who might be interested in buying one. Sounds like the venture is doomed to failure.

It is really hard to get a new product off the ground. My cousin sells real estate and knows a little about selling. He made the million dollar club his first year and that is almost never heard of. Well my cousin made a new product and really promoted it. Went to trade shows, got it featured in a magazine, and created a really cool web site. The product never took off. http://www.sparkoo.com/

I have an idea why the product did not take off though.

I would think you could sell ten Sparkoos to every SFX man in hollywood and, in spite of the fact that I seriously doubt it is street legal, every motor head who doesn't care about that would want some.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>every motor head who doesn't care about that would want some<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is what he thought too. I think it is a good way to start a fire.

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited November 30, 2004).]

rocky ridge bees Guest

my brother in law has a bug killer thing that looks like that smoker. we put mineral oil in it ,well smoked up the shop in one puff. only thing we dont know if the oil is poison to honey bees. we use it at work to smoke sewers. it don't hurt the roaches!

That Sparkoo Thing:

Years ago there was a fad in my high school--all the boys bought up the model T's in the area. Then some of them rigged spark plugs in the tailpipes and hooked those to the coils.

You could run down the road, pull the choke and let off the gas. As the unburned gas reached the spark plug a plume of fire would fly out the tailpipe. Particularly effective in front of the high school at noon, even more so as a basketball game ended and people were streaming out the gym parking lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I sent an e-mail to the guy on Sunday<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sent a second e-mail to him saying that I wanted to buy one. Still no reply. Can we say that's all folks.

&gt;my brother in law has a bug killer thing that looks like that smoker. we put mineral oil in it ,well smoked up the shop in one puff. only thing we dont know if the oil is poison to honey bees. we use it at work to smoke sewers. it don't hurt the roaches!

If you have only had mineral oil in it and NOT insecticide it won't hurt the bees. If you have had insecticide in it, (that's what comes with it) I would hesitate to ever use it on the bees. If you currently have insecticide in it, of course, then it will kill virtually all the bees.

This sounds like what people fogging with FGMO use. A propane fogger.

Ox &gt;You could run down the road, pull the choke and let off the gas. As the unburned gas reached the spark plug a plume of fire would fly out the tailpipe. Particularly effective in front of the high school at noon, even more so as a basketball game ended and people were streaming out the gym parking lot.

We would just turn off the ignition while you were moving down the road or rev it up and turn it off. Turn it on again just before the engine quit turning over and ka-boom. What ended that fun was blowing the muffler off the car.

A teen age friend conned his mother into trying this. The very 1st time she did it it blew the muffler off!

Dickm

We blew a couple mufflers off pickups on the highway by turning the key off, pumping the gas, and turning it back on again. It would go off like a cannon. People driving by would get quite a shock. Obviously this was the good old days before lock steering wheels and electric fuel pumps.