Anybody else catch it? I missed the entire first part but just caught the very end. As far as I could make out, it was about what they called the "Indian Killer Bee"- from India- which colonizes only on a certain kind of tree...multiple colonies per tree and all hanging on the high branches like swarms, not in holes. Very interesting.
    I don't know why they were calling them "killer" bees...compared to AHB they didn't seem to have any particularly fierce guard or defense behavior. They did seem to have some really unusual elements beyond the tree colonizing...I think I understood that they migrate to the Himalayas and the queen only mates with one drone.
    Anyway, I did an internet search for the show but no luck. If anybody saw it or has a link, I'd like to learn more.

>multiple colonies per tree and all hanging on the high branches like swarms, not in holes

that statement sounds like you are describing Apis dorsata.

This comes from one of Eva Crane's books:

"In regions with good nectar and pollen resources there may be as many as 100 nests at one site."

"Worker and drone cells are of the same size."

"The distribution of A. dorsata .....does not extend north of the Himalayas.....or west to Iran and the Arabian peninsula.....but it reaches southern China. It has also reached further east than the others, not only to Borneo and Palawan, but also nearly 2000 km east of Bali, along the Indonesian island chain....."

"An A. dorsata comb is up to 2 m from side to side and 1.2 m from top to bottom. .....at the top where honey is stored the comb is......up to 46 cm deep."

"Colonies of A. dorsata are easily alerted to attack and sting, especially when some first approaches a nest. People tend to be very wary of them, yet in some circumstances the bees appear to become accustomed to human activity nearby."

In 1880 and again in 1905 attempts were made to bring them into the U.S. because due to their size they were thought to be 'superior'. The bees died on the journey.

I did see something about them on Discovery or one of those channels a couple of months ago...as i recall, they were a very large bee also, like you said very ferocious.

I saw another show called "Hornets from Hell." I was too tramatized to obtain any other information. The only way I can describe what I saw is, someone brought an axe to a pillow fight.
    If someone can help me find it I would appriciate it.

It was here
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ntHornets.html

but the link doesn't work anymore, sorry.

Hey Bullseye: The does work! I just went to it and read the article. Kinda scary!

I'm sorry, I meant the video link didn't work anymore. It's one thing to read about it, but the video, what carnage!