I have a vintage galvanized, hand-operated, radial extractor that is leaking in several places at he bottom/wall seam. I was thinking of using silicone sealant, but wonder if it will impart a taste to the honey. Any other suggestions on how to seal it?

Thanks,
    Oyster<br />Concord, CA <br />San Francisco Bay Area

I tried to solder mine this weekend with poor results. My son suggested just melting wax into it. That might work for a temporary fix during extracting. I'm still trying to find food grade caulking of some type.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

JB Weld with a coat of food grade epoxy paint.

BubbaBob

If solder does not work I doubt if wax will for the same reasons.

You can buy truck bedliner at your parts store and treat the exterior. This product is not as good as the spray on stuff but will work. Make sure it is 2 part (epoxy based) and prepare the surface well.

This has to be coupled with the caulking coyote is talking about or moisture will get caught between the liner material and the steel and bubble. There are silicone based caulks that are food contact rated.

I'd go with the jb weld; I've even patched gas tanks with it & it held (didn't dissolve with gas so know honey wouldn't dissolve it). Real stout stuff once hardened!

Lew

I would think a weld shop might be able to reweld the seam for you. JB weld does not handle vibration well for me.

I also have an old galvanized extractor which has a couple of small, almost undetectable leaks. I use the "plastic coating" food grade paint that kelley sells. It seals the leaks well and also provides a cleaner surface inside the tank.
    It is what it is.

For a temporary -emergency- fast sealant that is food grade just melt some bees wax and pour in the leaks, it will hold till you get the good sealant you desire.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Wouldn't even think of trying to weld it . Galvanize is zinc . It will burn and leave a nasty residue . Braze will do the samething . I am a welder by trade . J B weld or a food grade caulking be my first choice .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

Thanks, all!

Sounds like JB Weld is the way to go. BTW, I found an unused tube of Plumber's Goop yesterday afternoon in my tool shed, but couldn't find any reference in its instructions for its use on materials that would be used to store food. I called the Goop Hotline this morning, and was assured that as long as I allowed a few days for it to completely cure and remove any residual fumes, it would be okay to use. So I guess I'll try that product.
    Oyster<br />Concord, CA <br />San Francisco Bay Area