Thread: Gallon jars

Question

I have tried to find 1 gallon glass jars to make top hive feeders and, boy are they hidden well!
    Does anybody know where to get this simple item? Thanks
    Jorge

Jorge: I have tried most evey type feeder to include boardman, zip lock bags, frame feeders , glass half gallon , glass one gallon and finally plastic one gallon pails. I have settled on one gallon plastic pails as easy to use , most unlikely to break. I have had problems with the lifting handles breaking off on one type of plastic pail and the lids breaking after 3-4 seasons. I am at this time trying plastic pails from Kellys, they have metal handles and seem to be much heavier and stronger than the ones I have been using.
    I use them by reversing the inner cover and placing the pail over the escape hole , placing a brood chamber box over the pail and then the top cover. To check for usage just remove the top and check the pail.
    The extra cost is in the pails at $17.50 for 5 and the requirement for an extra bood chamber.
    Ragards
    Les in SC

Used to be you could find them as discards at restaraunt, but now they all seem to be plastic.

My favorite feeder is one from www.Beeworks.com that you fill without facing any bees. It just goes in an empty box on top of the inner cover. It holds about 1/2 gallon of syrup. They call it a rapid feeder.
    http://www.beeworks.com/uspage5.asp

I have gotten 1 Gal. Jars from a local resturant. Pickles, Hot Peppers and etc. come in them. Dale

Try your local hardware or paint store. Leaktite makes a five quart mixing pail and lid. They are easy to clean, will not break like glass and in my location fairly reasonable in price.

I get assorted jugs and pails from the local grocer. Just go ot the deli and bakery departments and get them for free
    Dan

Lightbulb

I have been thinking trying to convert the chicken waters/feeder that are advailable at any feed store. Or I have even thought about the waters used for rabbits, I have been wondering if I ould make a hanger that I could attach to the outside of the hive with the drip part inside. I think that bees would be able to get small amounts out of this, based on my observations of them at humingbird feeders. Just a thought - any one every tried this?

I haven't tried it, but you'd need to put hardware cloth or something so they could climb in and out or they will drown. Also, I have never been impressed with open feeding because I end up feeding everyone else's bees.

I haven't tried it, but you'd need to put hardware cloth or something so they could climb in and out or they will drown. Also, I have never been impressed with open feeding because I end up feeding everyone else's bees.

Plus, you can only feed when it is warm enough outside.

Jorge