Thread: Medicinal Honey

This is an interesting article about using Honey to heal wounds.

Has any one tried this ?
    http://www.abc.net.au/quantum/stories/s137755.htm

Chiefman,
    I have to wonder if the proposed use of honey on a wound is very practical. It does provide a medium in which bacteria cannot grow, but who's gonna go around with a patch of honey on his arm?

If you want some interesting reading , check out "Toxic honeys" on Google search engine. It is amazing how many cultures have used toxic honeys as a "mind expanding " drug. Some of those weird acting shaman were not high on leaves but from eating "special" honeys. Usually the beekeeper was reluctant to tell his source and had an arrangement with certain officials that were in need of a "vision" ,now and then. Some people actually died from it, but of course it is always very dangerous to communicate with the gods. One popular toxic honey was called "miel fou" --crazy honey. If I were to sell this type of honey, I would make sure to get paid in advance.

Linc

I was talking to a beekeeper at a market a couple of weeks ago and mentioned it could be used for dressing wounds and he said a Russian family had just bought some honey for that purpose. I think it would be too sticky to stand, but if I didn't have triple antibiotic or beta dyne, I might consider it.

Back in the days of the Roman Empire, an invading Roman legion was wiped out by a local tribe who "accidently" left behind some of that toxic honey when they ran away.

Only the locals knew that it was dangerous to eat honey during a cold, wet spring when only the rhodedendrons were blooming. Bees don't LIKE rhodedendrons, but if that is all there is.......

Hmmm, maybe I could expand my market and see if any of the surgeons I work with would use it on their patients. HAH! That'll be the day.
    Denise

"...but who's gonna go around with a patch of honey on his arm?"

we go around with all other sorts of sticky ointments patched on us all the time, what's the difference if it's honey?