Thread: My hive died

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

I made some splits a couple of weeks ago. Introduced new queens and left alone for 1 week. Went back and they were dead. Split contained ten frames of bees. Boy was it full. 3 frames of brood and several of honey. There was a huge pile of bees outside and no it was animals feasting. They had not been chewed. I have had a skunk problem before at another yard and I know the difference. They had been carried out of the hive by the others before they had died leaving another big pile inside. It looks to have happened all within 3-4 days. The queen had laid 2 combs full of eggs, but she too was dead. The brood had died before hatching But I feel that was because they had not been kept warm. They are not stringy or rotten like foulbrood, They look perfectly healthy with no mites in the cells. It may be poison but there is no spraying going on at this time of year here and the other 4 hives are fine, just this one that was in the middle. Any Ideas?

I would guess robbing if the honey stores are gone.

It's hard to say. I never saw that many dead bees from robbing. Of course if there are other bees around and no nectar it won't take them long to rob it out after the bees are dead. Sounds like pesticide to me. The field bees may have gotten the brunt and brought it back to the hive or someone may have sprayed the hive in the day and when the field bees came back they tried to clean up but succombed to the poison.

sounds like robbing to me too.ASlot of people seem to have a robbing problem this year.Weather conditions were bad this year.The honey flows were all messed up this year.It doesnt seem to matter if you had to much or to little rain.If you have any bees left keep a good watch for robbing.It only takes a few days for robbers to empty the hive of all stors

I thought of robbing to however the hive was so strong and the fall nectar flow is going on that something else got this started and they were robbed out later when the population became low. All of the hives in the apiary were pretty close in strength.

i've lost 2 hives in the past few weeks to robbing,decimated,few survivors,both were fairly strong and one even had a mouse gaurd on it.didn't even know it was happening till it was too late.don't know anything i could've done to prevent it(except maybe watch it constantly).i do think we had a bad honey year,so maybe the bees are a little more nervous about having enough stores,that and last winter really sucked(i'm definitely more concerned about having enough firewood for the winter than i was last fall.)