Thread: absconded

I had a two frame observation hive made from a week nuc with a queen made from an emergency cell. Anyway we were trimming the hedges in the yard and the hive was a few feet from where the bushes were beeing trimmed with a loud smoking gas trimmer. Do you think this was the cause? The only other thing I could think of is that they were being robbed and couldn't take the assault and split?

Robbing could cause it. Severe lack of space could cause it. Sometimes a dearth wil cause it. Is it two DEEP frames? Or two mediums frames? Or one deep and one shallow? Were there any stores left? Brood? Anyway about it, I find about three deeps or four mediums to be the minimum space for a healthy observation hive.

I doubt that it was the timmer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It was one deep and one shallow 3/4 full of honey the queen had little brood and was never very productive to begin with

Some small observation hives have trouble getting any critical mass. Sometimes it's just size. Sometimes it's ventilation. Too much or too little and they just can't succeed at rearing brood. If they fail to rear brood for too long they may decide to try to find a more successful location. Which they did.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF