I am returning to beekeeping after many years (had 150 hives before varroa and am now retired) and want to use thymol. I've read all the posts on here on the subject I can find, but am not clear about how much to use, how to apply it. I also have thought to requeen while treating, thus creating a period of no brood. (I'm in northern Calif so there is brood pretty much year around.)

My goal is to be chemical free with drone trapping next year, Russian queens, screened bottom boards, etc but a few of my hives (20 started in spring) have serious mites this fall.

Also I read the bio thread! What a bunch of great, wacky people! I think beestings must have an effect on the personality (for the better.)

I also have an arthritic finger (from an old injury) that I am treating with stings. Anyone out there done this (intentionally)?

The article in ABJ about selection for mite resistance is VERY intriguing. I realize it will require raising my own queens, but I have the time and desire to do this. Any of you raising and selecting your own queens now?

Dan the beeman

Hi Dan

I do raise my own queens when I have time. I would recommend you go to the class at Ohio state university.
    It is very detailed and all the breeders are using the same technique. I have had several people come to me to get bees so they can sting themselves and they swear by it for arthritis.

good luck

Hi Dan, I use thyme oils in my hives so I don't know what to tell ya...

I just began using it this fall, the mites are down though. If they are here in the spring I'll consider it a success, 'for this year anyway', and use it again next fall.

I've posted what I do with thyme, but don't know where the link is...

Not much help, huh?

Where did you get your thymol?

Daisy,

Thanks for the replys!

Ordered (haven't recieved yet) thymol from medichest on line.

Dan

I use a commercial form (Apiguard). I realise this doesn't answer your question, but I've found it to be quite effective as long as you use it within a restricted range of temperatures. If its below about 60F the stuff doesn't evaporate, and if its too hot it can drive the bees out of the hive. Spring or autumn, with the mean temperature in the 60's, is ideal.

Dan do they have a link? Did you order online?

You can buy ApiLife from Brushy Mt.

Daisy,

Just go to medichest.com...

Dan

You can only buy it from brushy mountain if you reside in a state that has section 18 status for it. Hopefully it becomes general use next year rather than sect 18.