Hello:

I am located in central Mexico. I have had bees for 15 years, in the last
    couple of years my hives have been "africanizing", one of them in particular
    I have not change the queen for 2 years and now is very agresive. Now, one
    option is to forget about this hive, but I still want to save it. Replacing
    the queen given the level of "africanization"may be difficult. And I have
    been wodering if somebody has heard of some procedure that I could use to
    remove the african queen bee and place a new italian queen bee.
    My ideal product will be something that would atract/catch the african queen
    bee by installing something inside the hive and a week later I can kill that
    queen and replace it.
    But if anybody is aware of a way to do this easier than the traditional
    method, I would be more than thankful.

Thanks

Gustavo

Hello -

If you have a hot hive, wouldn't it be easier to first break the hive down in size before attempting to requeen? I would start by simply taking the hive bodies and separating them. You then will be dealing with half as many bees. If still too hot, split the single hive body into 2 nucs.

Regards,
    Barry

Hi:
    Thanks for the response. I think that is probably a wise recommendation and I think I will end doing what you suggest. Nevertheless I am still looking for a simpler maybe even "magical" solution. I still think there should be a chemical that could atract queen bees, if this is the case designing a trap should not be difficult. Once you catch the african bee, placing a new italian queen should be kids play.

Thanks and let me know if my idea is somehow possible or if I am out in the woods.

g guillemin

Oliver Frank Guest

The technique that I have used to requeen vicious hives : Obtain some Ammonium nitrate fertilizer, the type used to make bombs. Also need small queen excluder to cover entrance board slot.
    Get your smoker going good. Drop in a teaspoonful of Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer. Close the lid. Puff the smoker. It will ignite inside the smoker and and huge plume of smoke will emit. Smoke the hive thoroughly. The bees will fall unconcious. Brush them off of the combs in front of the hive. Place the excluder on the entrance. The bees will gain conciousness and walk back into the hive. The Queen will be found on the excluder at the entrance. Requeen half the hive on top of a division screen. Posibly keep the old queen caged below the divison screen so that you do not have to find her a second time. When the new queen is accepted, kill the old one and merge the two halves together. Works like a charm.

Frank:
    Thanks for the response. I will test it. Also do you have a recommendation for a particular queen excluder.

Oliver Frank Guest

Gustavo, You will have to jerry rig a piece of excluder over the entrance, or put an empty super with an excluder on top of it, first on the bottom board. You can possibly buy someting called a drone guard, or drone excluder, which is a small piece of queen excluder especially fitted to place over a hive entrance. Or place an excluder first on the bottom board. The drawback being that you will have to lift off the hive to locate the excluded queen.