Thread: Moving hives

I have a chance to obtain a couple of active hives. They are located close to where I live. When is the best time of year to move them?

Any season where they are flying regularly. That depends on your climate. Here, I just moved one a short distance last week, but this week is too cold and I probably wouldn't try it again until spring. There it might be enough warmer, maybe you could do it now.

Hi Eman, You can still move hives in our area. I usually lay a towell over the entrance in cool weather to stop too much air from cooling the hive. Good luck, Jim
    P.S. How is the FGMO doing?

------------------
    Jim

So far so good with the FGMO. I guess time is the only true test.
    Have you fogged at all lately? Have you opened the hives and changed out the cords recently? The members of the Davey Crockett beekeepers association ask about the FGMO, but no one else seems willing to try it.

OK, I'm confused. Why do the bees need to be flying regularly as a key to when you may move a hive? I have never heard of there being a time that you cannot move a hive. Is your concern that the bees will not return to the hive after being moved, that they will be lost? Or is it that the wind chill durring moving is the problem? I move mine inside of my van. I need to move two hives yet this fall, we haven't had a killing freeze here yet, but it's been too muddy to get into the fields. Hopeing to get it done next week.

The bees are clustered when it's cold. Sudden movement causes some to fall to the bottom. Sometimes causes lots of them to fall to the bottom and the cluster gets broken up. The bees are lethargic and have trouble getting back together in a cluster and some freeze to death.

Also, even when taking cleansing flights in the winter they may be too lethargic to realize the hive has moved and they don't have time to circle around to find it. They need to get back now.

These are the reasons I don't move them when they aren't flying.

Ah, very good! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and hope for a relativly nice day to make my move.

You are a little ways south of here, and you might get some good weather yet. If you really have to move them, then move them, but if you can do it when it's nice it would be better. Maybe, if they are in the back of a van and sealed up good and you have a good heater they could warm up enough to get clustered back together anyway. I still worry a little about cleansing flights and losing their way back. A branch in front of the entrance after the move tends to make them pay a little more attention when they fly out for the first time.

More good ideas to think about, thanks. I do need to move them, and there will be more nice days yet. It is only a five mile move and a relativly smooth ride. I will look for a 60 degree day and use the branch idea. That sounds like a thoughtful idea.

I would go for it. If you are only going a short distance, place the hives in your truck with the entrance facing the rear. This is really no worse than a strong winter wind. Make sure you cover the entrance with screen, bees are'nt very friendly when they are cold.

Tim

You can move bees any time of the year even in 4 ft snow. As in summer when moving I put screen in front of the entrance at night around hive so not to sufficate . screw hive body togther with plywood and screws. Run a cargo strap around hive to keep cover on . put in truck or trailer with frames running the length way of vechicle . put the truck in 4 wheel drive and go and let the adventure begin .

------------------

Hi,
    What do u mean when you say "put in truck or trailer with frames running the length way of vechicle " ? Does that mean put the hive opening facing the front or back of the truck or face the opening to the side ?