Thread: Microscope use

Hybrid View

This spring a couple of my colonies showed signs of dysentery with some spotting on the top bars and the outside of the hive. I was curious if nosema was to blame, so I got hold of a microscope to look for nosema spores in the feces. It was fun using the microscope, but not fun finding what looked like the nosema spores depicted in the book "Honey Bees Pests and Predators, and Diseases." My suspicions were confirmed.

Being able to definitively diagnose my problem was satisfying, and I would like to use the microscope for determining tracheal mite infestations, or any possible bacterial infections (ie. foulbrood, american or european). Does anyone have an idea where I might find a guide that outlined the dissection of honey bees for tracheal mites inspections? Or maybe, a book or guide that had good photos depicting detailed microscopic photos of bee diseases.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

------------------

There are a few books; I don't have any so I can't make reccommendations. You can usually find them on Abe Books. http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

I'm in the same boat. I don't have these books or videos so I can't say what I think of them, but Brushy Mt has a book (I'm sure it's available elsewhere) called Diagnosis of Honeybee Disease by Dr. Hachiro Shemanuki and Mr. David Knox for 9.95. The description of the book is "This is a fairly technical handbook on diagnosing and indentifying abnormalities in bees. It describes laboratory techniques used in the identification of these diseases by the Agriculture Bee Research Laboratory. A knowledge of bee biology would be helpful with this book"

Brushy mt also has several vidos. One on Varroa, one on Tracheal mites and one on "Finding and Treating Bee Disease" about AFB EFB Chalkbrood and Nosema. From the pictures in the catalog I'd say there are microscopic pictures with most of these.

Sue Cobey from Ohio State may have info on the tracheal mites. She showed us how to disect them to show if they had tracheal mites. It was very cool. Give her a call or take her course on queen breeding and she will teach you how to do the exam.

[This message has been edited by rainesridgefarm (edited April 07, 2003).]

Thanks for the input! I'll look for Shimanuki's book, as it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. This is a great forum!

"Mites of the Honeybee" by Delaplane and others show how to dissect for tracheal mites. It's available from Dadants