I've been fortunate to do quite a few swarm captures, cut-outs and trap outs this Spring. I just did a cut out from the 2nd floor of a home & picked up a smell different from the other jobs I've done. These bees have a burnt smell to them. This scent persists in the remote spot I keep them to insure I don't contaminate other hives. While I'm quite aware of the pleasant scent they give off when they get a new hive body offered when they swarm, this scorched odor is new to me. Can any of you offer an answer on what I'm smelling?

Power,

That smell is most likely foulbrood. Once you've smelled it, you'll never forget. Sterlize all of the equipment used for the cut out, better yet, never use the stuff on another hive again. Burn, baby, burn the frames, bees, boxes, etc. You don't want it around.

I hope some others with more experience than I post soon. I've never had foulbrood, but I did smell it in an observation hive at the Oregon State Fair last year when I worked the bee booth for two days. Made me sick smelling that stuff. The retired state beekeeper (a state position done away with in cost cutting) told me what it was.

Good luck,

Pugs

Exclamation

Pugs glad to see your still around. Gotta disagree with ya, foul brood, to me, reminds me of rotting meat, in Washington, from what I've been told anyway, you just have to burn the infected frame and comb.
    Check with your local and state AG department for the requirements before you destroy all your equipment.
    The oder may have come from the area that the bees were in, chimney-flue-smoke stack-may not have anything to do with a disease. Was it an older house?? They may have 'picked' up the oder of the wall, dank,musty, old wood gives off a burnt oder and it may have permeated any comb you got from the cut-out. May even be caused by what you used to smoke them with, if you used a smoker.
    IMHO, wait before you act and make sure.

[size="1"][ May 15, 2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ][/size]
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

"Gotta disagree with ya, foul brood, to me, reminds me of rotting meat, in Washington, from what I've been told anyway, you just have to burn the infected frame and comb."

I agree with Silverfox on this one. Did the cappings on the brood cells look sunken? Did you open up any of the brood to see if it was dead or alive? I wouldn't do anything until you inspect the hive for signs of foulbrood.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Big Grin

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, I'm honored
    Finialy got something right
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

SilverFox,

I hope you're right. The smell is a sickly, burnt smell. Once smelled, never forgotten.

I'm going to email you to see if you have/will have/ any extra cuts to sell me this year.

Pugs

....oooo oooo that smell
    ....its the smell of death around you...
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

Powersitbee, in the back of the May Bee Culture
    NO,THIS IS NOT A JOKE.We are looking to buy AFB infected hives and equipment. Large quantities preferred. Call H and R, 780-672-9797 or 604-517-3999.

The ad is in ABJ as well. Hope they come up with a useful treatment.
    Andrew<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi</a>

"what's that smell"..... Ask you're wife. She's probably had it figured out years ago. Just didn't want to tell you until you got all the honey-do's done....

The trouble with analyzing smells is that what it smells to you may not be the smell the smell smells to me. Think of the Matrix... how do they know what "tasty wheat tastes like." This isn't to say that smells may not suffice. I just can't make a definative diagnosis from someone's description. Look for other symptoms. By combining smell with other clues, diagnosis is easier.
    Waya
    WayaCoyote

There should be a 'scratch and sniff' of AFB for beekeepers.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

&gt;There should be a 'scratch and sniff' of AFB for beekeepers

I went to a meeting where they had exactly that - some AFB infected equipment. My god, it stinks. My personal opinion is it smells like meat gone bad (sulfurish).

One thing to note - powersitbe - I had a stench that turned out to be mold. Scrapped the frames clean.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Fellow keeps, thanks for your comments. I have had a foulbrood experience & this is a differnet smell. The are no sunken cappings, or open cells, & no stringy dead larva. I'm going with the outside contminaent idea. This hive was in a wall behind a chimney. The brick chimney actuall has holes in the masonry which were blackened around the edges. The hot flue gas made holes in the insulation board, and some of the pink insulation had browned out. (So, they were close to a chimney/house fire if the bees had not arrived.) I believe the voids created by the flue gasses, made room for the hive to get a foothold & expand by tearing out more insullation.
    I guess I treat this as another "selling point" when talking to people about doing cut-outs in their homes.

"smells like meat gone bad"

It is meat gone bad.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

&gt;&gt; "smells like meat gone bad"

&gt; It is meat gone bad.

And the "meat" is USDA choice bee meat, most
    likely. Betcha you will find rotting brood,
    and some sort of brood disease or other.

I would NOT describe AFB as smelling like rotted
    meat, as AFB has a sharp "top note", as if someone
    had sprayed some sort of chemical cleaner or
    pesticide that has a slight burning sensation
    in my nose. But not everyone describes the scent
    the same way, other than a general consensus that
    it is the worst smell to ever come out of a
    beehive.

Powersitbe--sounds like you got some comb that is tainted by creosote residue from the leaky chimney. That creosote odor is awful. Let us know what the final forensic results are from this odor!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Sad

Jim Fisher; I likened it to the smell along the 'shooting gallery' on the way to Kawait city during Desert Storm, right after the ground war. If you get my drift.