Smile

In the past I have had Midnite bees from York Bees in Georgia. I had one hive and made lots of honey off them for family and friends. Last year part of an old house next to me fell and exposed wild honey comb. My bees robbed it, got sick, and I lost them all. My brother gave me two of his hives of Italians this year. The problem is they are not very fond of me. I could work mine with just a veal, I can't go near these without smoke, gloves and a suit.
    Can I re-queen with a gentle queen? Can she be of a different family of bees? York Bees no longer has Midnites who else has gentle bees and is there another bee family that I might like better. Thanks, Mike
    \"Plant Your Corn Early\" Jed Clampett

>Can I re-queen with a gentle queen?

Sure. They may be hard to find right now, but in a month or so it will be easier to find queens. Most are going into packages right now.

>Can she be of a different family of bees?

Sure.

>York Bees no longer has Midnites who else has gentle bees and is there another bee family that I might like better.

The Cordovan Italians I've had were very gentle. I got mine from:

McCARY APIARIES
    P.O. Box 87
    Buckatunna, MS. 39322
    phone: 601-648-2747
    Call after 5 p.m.

But others carry them as well. They are what some beekeepers would call "brood rearing fools". Which means they don't do that well in a Northern climate like mine. They use up all their stores rearing brood at every opportunity. But they might do well in Georgia.

The Carniolans I've had have been gentle. There are many raising Carniolan queens. People who are using NWC (New World Carniolans) have been very pleased with them for both production and gentlness.

If you search the for sale forum for "Midnite" you'll find a gentleman there selling decendants from Yorks Midnites.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF