Hello,

I'm not a beekeeper, but I did buy a home recently in Joshua, and have a bee problem.

It's a triplewide manufactured home. Hasn't been lived in for 8 or 9 months. There is a colony living there, and they enter through the eves on two sides of of one section of the house.

The bees are not aggressive, I spent some time repairing siding underneath the entrances, and although they make a lot of noise, only one or two would come down to see what was going on. The most I have seen at one time is probably around 40 or 50 bees when something gets them stirred up (mowing, etc), but there's usually only about 10 out at a time, normally.

I do have two small children, and I'm currently doing repairs on the interior before we move in in about a month. I would like the bees removed. And I don't find it necessary to kill them, but they do find their way in the house, and there's a couple good sized honey stains on the ceiling.

I'm just looking for a little education and advice on the subject. If possible, I would like to know what price range I could be looking at. I have read some of the messages here, and understand that there are laws in place.

If someone wants the bees, then by all means, they're yours for the taking.

I have never used any pesticide on them. They haven't bothered me, so I haven't bothered them. But I do have a feeling that they won't be all that thrilled when I build the decks that I have planned that would be placed right beneath the entrances.

I appreciate any help, and if this forum is reserved for professional beekeepers, apologies in advance.

Thanks,

Eric

The way you score (I do removals as a side line) is to tell the beekeeper that you'll repair the damage caused by removing them.

There's a slick talker over here by us who charges a thousand dollars or more to get the bees out, mostly by scaring people. What I do is to give people options, for 50 bucks (if it's close to my house, more if farther) I'll come and kill them. For 100 bucks I'll remove them and TRY to give them a new home. I try to be honest and tell the people there's only a 50 50 chance for that, and lower if it's in the winter. But the catch is that I'll take the bees out, and the homeowner has to patch up the hole.

You should know that it's not always easy for even an experienced person to tell where exactly the hive is, though. That remark about honey stains on your roof frankly worries me, and I hope you are mistaken as to the ID of those stains.

Regards
    Tim

Well, I was told by the previous owner that they are honey stains. May turn out that it's just water stains. But they are on the ceiling in the general area of the entrances. There are two large (about 1 foot in diameter) stains that are almost black where the ceiling meets the wall and are mainly a tan color.

I can get pictures of the stains and entrances.

I can repair any damage. the house is a fixer upper.

I just need them out, because my biggest fear is that I'll be in a world of hurt come spring. That may be out of my ignorance on the subject. But I assume I'm not seeing that many bees because it is winter.

Thanks for the response!

if the stains are close to the entrance and they are black, I bet you just found the hive, if you knock on that part of the ceiling you should here them, looks like they would have to be removed from inside the house IMHO, im not sure where Joshua, texas is but there are alot of guys in here from texas that might be close enough to you to do this removal.
    Ted

you could also post this on http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/ , there are some texas beekeeper's on that site also that do removals.

[size="1"][ December 29, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

Joshua is west of Burleson, about 10 miles from 35W.

I haven't tapped on the ceiling, because of the fear that the ceiling may be in bad shape and cave in on me. haha.

Thanks

[size="1"][ December 29, 2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Eric S. ][/size]

Eric, I posted it for you on beemasters web site also.

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/view...?p=23160#23160
    Ted

Also go here.
    They have a list of beekeepers they will contact for you or give you the contact info.
    http://www.ebeehoney.com/swarmremovalmap.html

Tim,
    I used to do it for about $125.00, but it is just so time consuming and hot in the suit that it is not worth it...especially when it is rare to get the queen out in the removal.
    I charge about $135.00 fee then have an hourly fee that I charge for swarm removals. I have all of the specialized tools and equipment/clothing so it is less time-consuming and less tiresome, but it is still a grand-scale effort. I also let the homeowner fix the hole when I am finished. I have them sign a contract and give them information about it beforehand so they will know what to expect and why they have to be removed and not just sprayed and left in the wall.
    Jason

Good OL' KILL THEM ALL TIM. leave them to deal with the melted wax, honey and vermin that an abonded hive will attract.
    Contact the local state Ag. office, or google Bee removal/extraction, there are a number of people that will extract them. Good luck. Keep us informed.
    I've had about 90%+ survival rate with my extracted hives. Won't touch one after the first of Sept. Have three to do in the spring (around the end of Feb, first of March).
    If your remodeling let the person know that you'll repair.
    iddees web link is an excellent one for a choice of beekeepers willing to do extraction.

[size="1"][ December 29, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ][/size]
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

Thanks Jason, I guess I'll have to raise my prices!!

Silverfox, take a pill. Just yesterday I fed some bees to my Bearded Dragon lizard. So what? They don't have souls, anymore than the Tofu you had for dinner did.

The guy asked for advice, he got several options. He sounds like a big boy, and I'm sure he can choose what to do wisely.

If it wasn't so far away and the dead of winter (75 today. Eric, if you have to move-in in a month, you may want to go ahead and kill them. Either way, you're going to have to cut down the ceiling and cut out all of the wax and honey. If you call an exterminator, you'll pay through the nose.

It maybe hard to kill them if they have access to the whole attic. If you can find a way to seal them in for a week, you may be able to salvage the honey for yourself when you cut in to clean it out and repair.

Where's Lew, he might be interested.

Eric,
    I live south of Cleburne and can come by to take a look for you and let you know what to do with them, I have several old delapidated hives in Egan that I have to move in the near future, so it will not be a problem to swing by there and look, If possible give me a call this Weekend 254-889-3519..

Here's Lew

I'll be coming thru ftw on a trip to oklahoma next weekend. If I'm not running too late I could stop by on the way home maybe if Terry can't help you. back channel email is bee_keeper@earthlink.net.

Lew