Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Medication schedules??

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Daisy 
#1 ·
Please share your medication schedule! What do you treat with and why? I have only used apistan, Terramycin and menthol(as needed) in treating my bees.
I have never used Fumidil-B or the essential oils. Thanks Debbie

#2 ·
Nothing- because there is no accumulation of chem's in the hive or its products. Only use of natural cell sizing and selection.

Apistan is resistant here.
terramycin masks the disease also shortens bees life span.
Checkmite is just too toxic.
FGMO worked but alot of work.
Acids are dangerous, too much concentration and burn bees. Too low and not good enough control.
fumidil b- expensive

(no flaming please)

Clay

#4 ·
A medication plan based on your tolerance and acceptability of certain procedures should be evauluated. I do not believe in treating on a preventative basis unless non-chemical options are used.

There is no such thing as a "schedule" when using chemicals. This can lead to resistance and not allowing the bees to develope natural abilities of fighting off deseases.

Develope a "plan" and treat when needed. Become good at preventative measures and learning the symptom signs of the deseases. Then a "schedule" is not needed. Will also save you alot of time, money, make your bees happier, and you will produce a better product.

A plan is better than a schedule.

#5 ·
So far the strongest thing I've used is menthol vapo rub.

I feed them things that has minerals and such in it. Today they had some molasses mixed in the sugar water, for dinner.

I stopped feeding strong hives at the entrance. They get fed in the evening if there is no nectar flow. When the sun goes down, they get no more until the next evening, if I've a mind to put out something. I only have six hives. I'm equalizing them now.

#7 ·
Beekeepers who medicate around these parts usually do so twice during the year (early spring and early fall). Some maintain that it is wise to medicate bees just like it is wise to vaccinate pets. Others believe that medicating does little and may actually harm the hive. I am not sure myself. I use grease patties year round as well as sbb. I never medicate if the hive has honey supers.

#8 ·
I'll use Fumidil-B according to directions at the end of OCT or first of NOV. This is to treat for Nosema. Just have 2 hives and this will be my 2nd winter. They made it through last winter when many others didn't. I'm using small cell foundation throughout the hive and last fall my mite count on a sticky board was not enough to meet the requirements for apistan. I also use grease patties but make the mix soupier and apply it like cake frosting on the top bars any time I open the hive down to the brood chamber. Might try making them with food gradde mineral oil instead of crisco - might work?

Good luck

#9 ·
Thanks Micheal for the link.

I'm not to concerned because I use a forth cup per gallon of sugar water. And According to this information you listed......
Sugars which have poisoned bees are acceptable in rations if they are sufficiently diluted with sucrose. Bailey demonstrated that his samples of acid-inverted sugars had no deleteriotis effect when diluted 8 to 1 with sucrose. Honey and nectars contain traces of toxic sugars such as raffinose, mannose, and galactose (Percival 1961; Siddiqui, 1970). Sublethal levels of these sugars in pollen, honey, or nectar could modify effects of sugars in supplementary diets. Conversely, generous stores of safe sugars could dilute toxins in supplemental feeds. We agree with the ancient philosopher, Paracelcus, who admonished that poisoning is a consequence of quantity, not substance. "Toxic" simply means too much.

:I think they're safe given this one time. I got worried there for a minute:..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.