Hybrid View

Since watching my observation hive get established again this spring I have noticed things that worry me a bit. When it's cold and rainy for a day, let alone three or four days, the hive often runs out of pollen and honey to feed the brood and some often starves. With my observation hive, it's easy to feed them some honey or syrup, but not so easy to feed them pollen. Since watching this I've been trying to feed pollen and syrup when the weather is not so good to my new packages. I don't think it's as much of a problem with a hive that has stores, but it's a real problem with a new package. I have always found hot (hot enough it won't burn your finger) syrup to be taken up better on cold days, so I think I'll try feeding more on chilly and rainy days to packages starting oout, both pollen and syrup.

Well I don't have an observation hive, but I was observing my newly loaded hives yesterday afternoon and it was a ghost town. Weather here has been miserable, so I can only hope everybody is crammed up in side keeping warm. 2nd straight day no sun, cool and rainy. Day of loading was beautiful and they were very active that afternoon.

I doubt they have any pollen at all, but I did put a bag of syrup and the remaining shipping can in the tops of the hives. I want to take a peek desperatly, I honestly thought both hives might have absconded yesterday it was so quite!

I also have a new package of bee's and I've kept up with the surup (should've bought stock in sugar!). The weather here in N Ga. has also been pretty miserable, but they have been bringing in the pollen when the weather permits. Just checked them out today and it looked like Atlanta airport (I'm guessing that it was a new set of foragers because I didn't see any of 'em fight'n or robb'n). When the weather gets better, I'm going to open 'em up. I wouldn't know what to look for as far as stock'n on the pollen.

What is in the can that comes with a package? Sugar water?

Thanks
    Marty

Big Grin

yes.Marty