Thread: ants

coomerd Guest

Problem with ants help

Dave
    It would be helpful to know what kind of ants and what are they doing?

I also have an ant problem in three hives,but different ants in each.
    Top jar feeders.
    One hive has sugar ants,one hive has large black carpenter ants,one hive has large red carpenter ants.
    Have tried cinnamon,no luck.I am thinking about using guard star around the hives,since it is for ants,fleas,ticks,etc.
    Suggestions?
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

A few days ago I was surfing the net and saw a beekeepers bee stand; each of the fore legs was sitting in a large coffee can full of oil to drown pest that try to climb up and into the hive. Looked like it would work to me!

Jelly mixed 1:1 with borax seems to work the best of anything I've tried.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

at this time of year, in most climates, plain old axel grease around anything that touches the ground will also suffice. Coat the areas on the stand / base (not the hove itself) with a width of about 3 inches of thick (1/4") axel grease. This will really slow them down as well. It tends to melt and run in the summer in Arizona though...
    Thank you,<br /><br />Gregory

The coffee can with oil in them will work. I use flashing to cover the cans. just cut a hole the size of your hive stand legs, slip this up on the legs,staple, and calk, than set in cans.

I have two hives on each stand.

Hi coomerd et al, We had some problems with ants recently but the problem was quickly solved. However, as a hobbyist, I do some strange things and so our hives are sitting on pipe stands and concrete. The single pipe stand has the advantage that it can be ringed with a strip of paper that then gets coated with Tanglefoot. This is a sticky mass that can be bought in a Seed and Feed store. Ours had dried up and had to be recoated. Look at http://photobucket.com/albums/a297/Habedere
    I realize that this would not apply to a commercial operation but could give some ideas.
    Take care and have fun.