Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Observation Hive

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Clayton 
#1 ·
I have been looking at observation hives and can't find hives that contain at least 4 frames of deep frames.
I was wondering if Michael Bush or any one knew
or thought the plans on this site could be modified for 6 frames. I will be using this next year for school demonstrations.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

#2 ·
>I have been looking at observation hives and can't find hives that contain at least 4 frames of deep frames.

I haven't seen any for sale.

>I was wondering if Michael Bush or any one knew or thought the plans on this site could be modified for 6 frames. I will be using this next year for school demonstrations.

Certainly you can make it taller as long as you respect bee space. There should be 3/8" between the bottoms of one frame and the top of the next frame down.

However, an observation hive of three deeps is difficult to move. A six frame is even heavier and more awkward. James Tew does demos all the time and he has developed a simple one frame hive that he takes a frame from a real hive (with a queen if you want to find her or without if you want to do one quick) and puts it in. It has no entrance, so the kids can't open it, and it's easy to move. It has a lot of ventilation (top, bottom and sides) so it won't overheat, since there isn't an entrance.

Brushy Mt. makes something similar and calls it that, but you can make one easily enough.

It's all a question of beespace. The space between the glass (or plexi) should be not less than 1 1/2" and not more than 1 3/4". The space from one frame to the next top to bottom is not more then 3/8" and not less than 1/4" (I go for the 3/8"). The space below the bottom frame and the bottom should be not less than 3/8" and not more than 3/4".
http://bee.airoot.com/beeculture/months/00dec/00dec2.html

#3 ·
Haven't seen anything bigger than 3 deep for ob hives sold. You'll have to make your own I think. I personally have a 2 deep ob hive, Betterbee's model. Haven't used mine in a while, but am bringing honey to sell at local fair next week and will stock the ob hive and bring some bees.

Clay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.