Recently ordered some checkmite strips from Dadant. When I recieved the box and it was labled as "apistan" on the outside, I opened it up. The insides were marked as "checkmite" and I sat it aside.
    Well, Sunday I had some help and figured we could knock out a hundred hives. Upon opening up the box, under the instruction/data sheets, were of course Apistan. I ckecked the invoice. Billed for checkmite, but recieved apistan.

Over the years, I have recieved screwed up orders from Betterbee, Dadant, Mannlake, Brushymountain, and Kelly. It seems that nobody can get an order correct. I switch from one, and sooner or later I switch back. I make comments that I'll be faithfull to one, until my order is messed up. Makes no difference. I have worked and run companies that ordered material/supplies on a daily basis. Never have I seen an industry as bad at customer service as this one.

I long for the day to be satisfied and not only recieve what I ordered, but billed for it correctly. I also do not hesitate to compliment those who have done a good job. Its just very rare these days.

I know I can't be the only one out there feeling this way. Anyways....its not raining!

jfischer Guest

The various bee supply companies are to be
    congratulated on their extremely progressive
    policies about hiring the handicapped.

While it is unfortunate that they tend to place
    the mentally handicapped employees in order
    fulfillment and shipment packing, this is a
    small price to pay for the warm feeling we can
    all get when we realize that even we would be
    able to find employment with these firms ourselves.

Seriously, mistakes happen. They may screw up, but
    they will also make good. Things like order fulfillment
    are a game that one can only lose or tie. If one
    "wins", no one ever notices.

why ? not get the order rigth every time wrong oder delay the time to treat i now for myself that i like to treat my bee and know that i'm useing the right stuff and not killing my bees off cause of some one mess up.

Thats fine to get the warm fuzzies. I also have a bee operation to run. Mistakes cost me time and money.

Most magazines have the "entire" employment staff pictured within. Not one as I can tell is in a wheelchair, or has other features that would let me know any different. The picture from the local salvation army, well now there is a picture that is easy to see. Are you sure you weren't fed some line to cover an excuse?

And if they do fine. Maybe you can explain the complete lack of customer service and manners that go along with it, while dealing with one of the above mentioned companies. That has nothing to do with who they hire. Thats management and training. I'll figure out the one that can at least provide the basics.

One company says it takes two weeks to send the order to the printer, when I'm in a hurry. But last week I called within 24 hours to correct a mistake with a faxed order, and was told too bad. It already was processed. But I'm sure it will take 4-6 more weeks to get anything from them. Explain that. It was almost as if I was burdening her to pick up the phone.

Some states have not registered checkmite and the supplier might have substituted apistan.

From another thread, but I think it applies...

<<Some here will be confused by your reply. Satire and irony are a couple of the less known literary forms these days.

[This message has been edited by coyote (edited September 10, 2004).]
    >>

Satire and irony....ok, I can see that.

odfrank,
    Substitution in todays world means dead hives. Do these people themselves not recommend rotating chems? I do not have resistance yet, but if I did, having them substitute at thier discetion does not help the situation. A state has approval or does not. I know mine does. They know mine does. I figure they did not have it in stock, and they didn't want to say, and possobly lose the sale. Well, they did lose a sale. Many times over.

I could fill many pages with examples of bad customer service, orders gone bad, and the like. I figure it must be the fact that most orders are from small time operators, and having a few upset customers is no big deal. I know pooling orders, using numbers/members as a benefit is unrealistic. Like I said, I will be more than happy to pass on good dealings, and I will also note the bad ones. Hopefully someone is listening somewhere. Maybe one day it will matter on the bottom line.

For what it's worth, after dealing with Mann Lake exclusively for the past few months, I thought I'd give Dadant a try, even though their prices are generally 3-4 bucks higher than Mann's for the exact same stuff. I was really disappointed with Dadant's web ordering process- collecting unnecessary info, time consuming and silly password requirements, etc. Then they added a New York sales tax to my order and gave the only option for shipping as UPS 2nd day...more expensive than the product I'd ordered. However, I went ahead and hit the submit order button, having written a note with the order re the shipping and the NY tax. Click. "There was a problem processing your credit card."
    So I reentered all the payment info and still it wouldn't go through.
    Logged off the site and sent them an email telling them about the problems I'd had. To their credit they replied promptly, but without anything like an apology or intention to improve. I got the impression that they really didn't care about losing a new customer.
    After that little adventure I intend to stick with Mann Lake. They've messed my orders up a few times but have so far bent over backwards to correct the mistake very promptly, politely, and with apologies.
    Of course, maybe I've just been lucky so far...

I had the same problem with Dadant and their credit card page. It was down for three days. I do like the saved info from previous orders and shipping.
    It makes it quicker to process the order.

------------------
    "To bee or not to bee, that is the question"

Strange that I should see this post.

I got a little order from Kelly today, a hundred pieces of frame end bars and three pounds of nails. The materiel cost +/- $16. the freight $10.

I get good service; I have no complaints regarding either Mann Lake, Brushy Mtn or Kelly, but this freight situation is getting out of hand and shows no promise of improving.

I have reason to go by Paris, Texas next week. I suppose I will look in on the Dadant store there to see what I can stock up on. Appears that if I haul it myself I can afford twice as much.
    Ox

Oxankle,

Here in Oregon the shipping is even more. I'm going to order from a local man who makes boxes to order. I'm not sure about the frames. His prices are pretty close to the best ones I can find and without shipping.

It really bugs me is when it comes to books. The post office has a media rate which is very cheap, but the bee supply places charge by the pound for shipping and it is almost double what the post office would charge for books. I don't order books from the bee supply houses. I find them used, order through a local book store or do without.

Pugs

Ox:Know what you mean about the shipping,I've got a problem ordering honey Jars,after shipping cost, they come to almost $15.00 a dozen,I've been looking for a source closer so I can go pick them up.>>>>Mark

>I don't order books from the bee supply houses. I find them used, order through a local book store or do without.

Ordering through Barnes & Noble here in Anchorage I pay only for the cost of the book, if I pick it up at their store. They eat the cost of shipping.

I have had good luck with Mann Lake. I can't ever remember getting an order messed up from them, and I have been using them almost exclusively for about the last 5 years. I also live close enough to make it worthwhile to go there once or twice a year and load up to avoid paying any shipping.

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

<<Ox:Know what you mean about the shipping,I've got a problem ordering honey Jars,after shipping cost, they come to almost $15.00 a dozen,I've been looking for a source closer so I can go pick them up.>>>>Mark>>

Mason jars at Wal-mart.