Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hello again all!

I would like to know what goals each and everyone of you has for next year.

I would like to have 10 new hives from nucs, a new extracter, all the woodwear for the 10 hives, a comb knife, and a honey drip pan ( do not know the name of it). I would also like to establish an observation hive.

Those are my goals.

what are your goals?

Smile

I would like to get 1000 pounds from on hive...

I plan to split my two hives into a 3rd hive so I will have 3 total hives consisting of 5 deeps each. We will then complete the process of taking our family completely away from using white sugar and using honey as our sole source of sweetner.

kookaburra Guest

Since this is just a hobby, I have soft goals for next year...
    1) Get the 3 hives I have through the winter.
    2) Get some surplus, preferably at least 90lb/hive
    3) I would like to have 5 hives by the end of next year. Since I don't want to spend money that means that I need to make 15 - 20 boxes and frames (foundationless) and top and bottoms. That many frames is sure daunting to me with the time that I have to do it in.

-rick

Expand to a semi load (408 hives) and at the same time convert from 1 & 1/2 story hives to all double deeps. Long term goals are to add on to honey house and update/improve extracting system.

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

The bees always seem to have their own goals that don't always correspond to mine.

I'd like to convert to more horizontal hives, probably another long medium Langstroth hive with top bars would be nice.

I'd like to have more time for experiments. But I'd also like to stay busy at work. I'd like to raise more queens and focus more on a breeding program, where I've been just trying to get the feral stock to base it on, now I want to try to get enough queens to do more selection.

rwjedi Guest

I would like to overwinter my one pitiful hive that I have now, and add to it next year. I want at least a couple hives out on my 5 acres, and 1 at my house in town. I have a tulip tree in my back yard in town and seems like a waste to not have a hive to take advantage of all the nectar.

Some lofty goals and some easy ones in the list so far. My goal is to go from the 11 I plan to over winter to 30 by next fall. That should be fairly easy. I also want to leave a few colonies out of the splitting process so I can get enough honey to last me a full year(I would like to quit buying sugar as well but my familly use 7.5lbs a week mostly for sweet tea, 6 of us).

Now a couple of comments about others goals.
    A 1000lb from one hive is a little out there.
    About making your own frames, I do it and it is very time consuming. If I could I would purchase my frames unassembled and use a starter wax. I do what I do because I am disabled and have the free lumber and quite a bit of time. I make mine with the pointed top bar like used in topbar hives and call them foundationless frames. If I could spend the money for them I would buy the frames because I think my time is more valuable than what I can buy the frames for.
    MB hopefully I will have 2 TBHs and one long hive in that 30.
    What surprized me was no one said anything like no treating for mites because my bees will not need it for what ever reason(small cell comes to mind). This is a long term goal for me. I hope to buy some small cell foundation for next springs use. My natural cell size differs greatly between hives. Some hive buid nothing over 5.1 for worker cells and go down from there to 4.6 in my best small cell drawer. One hive is still building worker cell 5.3 then down to 5.0 at the bottom of the frame.

Right now I have 3 1/2 hives. (One is a split).

I would like to double my hives, and I HOPE that more of my bees show the darkness that means feral blood. I just noticed today that one of my hives has young bees are pretty dark. (I gloat!).

I intend to harvest honey in summer, hoping for $400 in sales, and then I will split my hives after the spring honey flow.

Cool

No plans to expand next year - I went from 3 to 8 (6 Russian, 1 Carnio, 1 feral) this year and wonder why since this is just a hobby. I may try raising queens in order to even the distribution.

I would like to build and set up an observation hive (don't tell the wife).

Move a good portion to small cell. I purchased some of the small cell foundation but decided to wait until early spring to introduce it at the start of the buildup.

Find a market for my surplus - my mead drinking is falling behind production.

Capture swarms instead of watching them fly away.

Better locations! Expand without pissing off my wife. Make more honey. Make some clover honey (planting 50# in September). New extractor. Sell some nucs. Attent EAS meeting. Make better meads. New thick walled stainless steel 9/18 frame extractor.

------------------
    Joe Miller
    nursebee@juno.com

Cool

Hubby goals to get to 1000 hives, start breeding queens, make nuc 's, sell more honey from home..
    Mine NOT TO WORK 7 days a week, have some time off. I retired, and now working harder then ever...and help get to the 1000 hives

When I started I was only going to have 1 hive. Then they swarmed, I caught them and kept them. Now I got two. I already have two more complete hives (2 deeps each hive) painted and ready to go. my goal is to have four healthy hives by next year.......

My goal for this year was to have twenty strong producing hives, not sixty.

Make more boxes, order more PC.

Build honeyhouse.

Find more out yards.

Propagate resistant strains of bees for mite resistance.

Find a helper.

Retire so I can work full time.

My goals are these:

1. To manage the beekeeper better.
    2.To get all of the equipment that I might need next year ready this winter.
    3.To understand the bees better by the end of the season than I did at the beginning of the season.
    4.To be satisfied with the harvest that I get.
    5. To be less obsessive about the bees.

Unless of course I can figure out how to justify more hives, then 1 to 5 probably will end up not applied. In that event see goal six.

6.Obsess about the bees.

dtwilliamson Guest

Go from 3 hives to 5 or 6. Use up my deep equipment and start exclusively using med for brood and supers. (Fortunately, I only have enough deep equipment for 4 hives- 8 deeps) Finish building my med boxes over winter. Contemplating requeening next fall with all NWC. I have one hive started 7/25 that is NWC in 2 full deeps. I can't believe how calm the bees are. My hybrid Italians are high strung. I'll give them another year to compare if they don't lighten up on me I'll requeen. Fairly easy goals. I like to set realistic attainable goals for myself....

[This message has been edited by dtwilliamson (edited August 26, 2004).]

Now that I positively know that it isn't me, it's my location that holds my bees back, I plan to move* somewhere that will let me have booming hives and plenty of honey.

Here on the edge of the NJ Pine Barrens my poor bees barely eke out an existence.

--Madeleine
    *yes I really mean MOVE. My Hubby doesn't mind since the road we live on is getting too much traffic and the taxes get higher every year. But the main reason we'll be house hunting will be for the bees

Well.......... I want a motorized 9 frame radial extractor and a STEAL price :->.
    I want to double my 8 hives at home.
    I want to establish 5 new hives at the Panhandle Pioneer Settlement in Blountstown.
    I want to set up a beter place to extract and bottle, and a place to better store my equipment.

And Santa, I have not been TOO bad. hehe

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

Did I mention that I would like to find the queen in my hive???

I hope it comes true!!!!

Did I mention that I would like to find the queen in my hive???

I hope it comes true!!!!