Thread: spring pollen

Question

Pale white pollen has been brought back to my hives since this weekend, 3/1/2004. I can't figure out the plant source. Too early for the red maples and black willows at least the ones I have looked at. No spring wildflowers blooming yet that I can find. Crocuses are not open yet. Any suggestions? Maybe some extra early maples? Located in southern Indiana west of Bloomington.

i'm pretty sure it's pussywillow.

I thought of that but the ***** willow in our yard has not fully opened up yet. The flowers are only about half size with none of the yellow stalks protruding as when they are in full bloom. I am beginning to think more that maybe it is some early red maples. I have noticed some with very swollen buds in the last few days.

BILLY BOB Guest

The pollen from red maple here is red. I think the elm trees have red buds too and the pollen is the same color. The bees have taken in the same pale/white pollen here, but I don't know what where it is comming from.

BB

Red maple pollen is lite yellow not red. My bees are working thme over right now as they are in full bloom in TN.

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

I have been seeing a lot of light tanish somewhat FUZZY pollen coming in by the bushel...beebushels!
    I wish I knew where they were getting it!
    Jason

do bees go to skunk cabbage

I know that some maple trees are blooming here now, and I've seen bees working them. We had two days in January here that were nice enough for bees to fly. They were getting pollen from somewhere both days. Every bit of plant life I could see was brown and dormant. Amazing little creatures!

I know that some maple trees are blooming here now, and I've seen bees working them. We had two days in January here that were nice enough for bees to fly. They were getting pollen from somewhere both days. Every bit of plant life I could see was brown and dormant. Amazing little creatures!

i think silver maple blooms before red/hard maples.witchhazel is also blooming now.

The silver maple in my front yard is starting to bloom right now. I am in Kansas, if that helps.

Question

I've herd that bees will use corn bins as a pollen source when nothing else is available?

Corn dust, Soy bean flour, pollen substitute. All of those less than adequate sources.

Up here in southern NY the last couple of days the bees have been bringing in some pollen. Not a lot but some very white and some yellow. I noticed some bees on the little 'snow drops' that started blooming one week ago.
    Pollen.com puts pollen levels at medium today for this region (Westchester county) and lists Juniper and Cedar as the main source. I don't see any and I don't know if bees go for either. I suspect they will if nothing else is available.

Jorge

Up here in southern NY the last couple of days the bees have been bringing in some pollen. Not a lot but some very white and some yellow. I noticed some bees on the little 'snow drops' that started blooming one week ago.
    Pollen.com puts pollen levels at medium today for this region (Westchester county) and lists Juniper and Cedar as the main source. I don't see any and I don't know if bees go for either. I suspect they will if nothing else is available.

Jorge

Jorge