Thread: pollen

Hybrid View

Smile

My first hive survived the winter fine and they are bringing back lots of yellow pollen already. I am surprised to see so much pollen this early. I live in Southeastern Connecticut, could this pollen be from the willow trees? I can't find any flower blossoms anywhere.
    Rod

Look up. All first pollen comes from trees and bushes. The maples are probably the first in your area and the flower of the maple is not really visible unless you look directly at the burst bud. ***** willow if you have swamps within flying distance.

OK, there are a few maples with red buds just opening(no leaves) and the willows have a slight yellow look.
    Thanks,
    Rod

My bees are bringing in beige color pollen. I think it is from the willow trees near the hives. Yellow, I saw some. It was very granualar, and like powder. I looked it up, but I'm not sure where that comes from, unless the farmers are feeding something, it is hard to say. Anyway, the housel positioning, definately formed the center of the hive. I was impressed. Put in some 4.9mm foundations too. Now if it just stays warm, the bees should get a head start.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA