Lightbulb

Who has an idea n hw we (Nigeria) can reduce the agrressive nature in our bees,but not to create another monster.

------------------
    Beekeeping Extension is my concern

I had an agressive hive and this went on for a few weeks, so I requeened it. I didn't do it right and they killed her and requeened themselves again. They're not agressive anymore.

Then another one I have got testy and I added more space by adding a box of frames, but I don't know if they'll make use of it or not......

I gave them sugar water with lemongrass essential oils also and maybe this helped to calm them down, I don't know for sure. I should intervene with only one action to know what made the difference, but I do what comes to mind.... right or wrong.

As far as I know the only reason that European Honey Bees aren't as aggressive is centuries of breeding.

Always keep the calmer ones and breed queens from them. If a hive is angry only on occasion that may be circumstance, but if they are angry all the time, requeen them with queens bred from a calmer hive.

Requeen every year. This keeps them much calmer. A hive with a young queen is always happier than a hive with an old queen.

That's all I know.

Question

>I gave them sugar water with lemongrass essential oils also and maybe this helped to calm them down,

So, you sweetened their disposition, eh?

Essentially Oiled

From what I know about genetics and livestock management(for what it's worth)and such, it would seem that the style of beekeeping practiced in Africa doesn't lend itself to selective breeding. What makes the bees survive in that climate and environment is what keeps them mean. Since Africa is such a huge and "wild" place, I think it would be difficult to maintain a consistent race of bees,if you could isolate a strain that was more gentle. The top-bar hive and similar practices seem more oriented toward the bees' natural inclinations and are less suited for man's determination to domesticate them. If you introduced a gentle race of bees they probably wouldn't last long in such a hostile environment with so many other aggressive bees. I was reading about the Cape bees and they seem like a forboding menace.

I use lemongrass oil on a regular basis, and it sure doesn't make my bees sweet, lol. I've decided that maybe Texas bees are like Texas people. Kind of cranky at times, and some are just downright redneck. Good thing they have a Texan beekeeper to put up with them.

try a bigger smoker

I agree, I don't know for sure what calms them down, but mine are not nasty right now when many bees should be with this unrenting drought.

They got riled up today and I had to put out sugar syrup on the table. It's been over a hundred degrees everyday this week. It's so dry that we've had to water the foundation on the house. It's Bad!

This is the last day to put the sugar water out on the porch though. The table goes out in the yard tomarrow.

This does seem to help the nastiness.

What race of bee do you have in Nigeria?

Clay

We are having a drouth right now, so there isn't any nectar.

The last time I worked the bees, I put out a generous dish of syrup with floats in it so they wouldn't drown. So many of the bees were busy with the syrup that the hive was easier to work.

Easier to work, is right. I tried to work hives without the distraction of sugar water and the hive was to full of disgrunteled bees.

Well, I have a community feed station going everyday during this weather.

I have a roll of window screen and this week has been so hot that I cut squares and taped it onto the top of the top super and put a block under the telescoping lid to prop it up. Brought the inside lids in till it's cool, I can add the inside lids when it's cool. I'll leave the screened spreads on till fall. If I have to add a super, I just put it below the screened super.

The bearding on the front has stopped.

PS

Or a bungy cord would work maybe. Don't have any to try it though.

Question

Ya , you all have ideas (including the large smoker guy)Sounds inteligent to me,but you dont know what agressiveness in bees is .Try ask linotsi@yahoo.com(Nathan Emrey) he came here as a volunteer.

We will try the lemon grass But i know our bees .The Bee Go that Don Grogan brought with him made them more mad.

------------------
    Beekeeping Extension is my concern

Try a spoonful of ammonium nitrate (fertilizer) in your smoker.

Breeding can play a big part. There are several breeding programs here in the US that selectivly breed for (among other things) gentleness. The two programs I'm more familiar with have been very successfull. They are to the point now that very little (if any) protective gear is needed. According to one of the breeders, gentleness can be breed into any strain of honeybee, though it does take time.

And as far as queenless hives beeing more agressive...

I'm not sure it can be eliminated entirely. Susan Cobey did wear a veil to open her queenless hives (though no gloves or suit) when I was down in columbus a few months ago.

Learn to raise queens.Look for those hives that have the least viciousness and absconding,then raise queens from them.It will be a slow process,but you can do it.Here in the US a bad tempered hive will surface now and then.It is a simple matter of replacing the queen because MOST bees here are good tempered.In an area where ALL the bees are bad tempered,progress will be slow but not impossible.Looks like YOU are the man for the job.I dont know what races you are working with but sometimes importing can help.But as you say ,that could create a monster.

Wink

Thans Loggermike i like you & your ideas i wish you could come as a volunteer one day.
    thanks

Requeen every year. This keeps them much calmer. A hive with a young queen is always happier than a hive with an old queen.

I agree. I had a nasty one, and requeened. The old queen was one of the first queens that I raised. She was wonderful for a long time. Now, I have another mean hive, but this time of the year, bees can be more agressive, because they are protecting there honey. Remember, bees are not politically correct, the rob, cheat, and steal! There guards are always up, so they can be mean.