In 3 areas of one apiary, bees on three sides of the orchard, the following hives were lost. 3 of 7, 4 of 8, and 1 of 7. These are not big numbers to draw conclusions but in percentages they are. No hives were treated with medication, all were strong. Had a bad winter with extreme cold.
Now my question-Did I kill my hives with being to good of a painter/builder? In my mind I did a great job in making the hives airtight, with only a bottom entrance. Hives are elevated and no blockage from snow. I never had a problem before with moisture but previous years were more milder. No mite kill evidence so I'm thinking moisture. Does anyone have good info concerning this. I read about open bottom etc. and have always thought the more I protected the bees from winter the better but I guess thats not the case.
The better site (1 of 7) is more open and condusive to wind and sun. Does anyone think that perhaps location/moisture is a big contributor of other problems such as winterkill, mites, etc. Anyone...