Thread: Ross Rounds

Hybrid View

I am thinking of doing some comb honey next year and was wanting some feedback from some of you who have much more knowledge than me.
    1. Which is the best method to get comb honey?
    2. How hard is it to get the bees to accept the comb honey systems?
    3. Do you have any sure-fire methods to market comb honey?

Thanks

Dave

Hi,

1. Which is the best method to get comb honey?

reply:

I like the Killion method personally. Then shook swarm is my second option. You need a copy of HONEY IN THE COMB. This is a must read for serious section producers.

2. How hard is it to get the bees to accept the comb honey systems?

reply:

Don't know if I'd call it hard it is just a different type of management. Mostly need a good grasp on swarm control and basic bee behavior.

3. Do you have any sure-fire methods to market comb honey?

reply:

Start small. FREE samples go along way. Many young people have never had comb honey, some haven't had the liquid. So you need to get them to try it before you can get them to buy it.

I can explain the Killion method if you'd like.

Clay

I have not tried the Ross Rounds, but many people I've talked to thought it was difficult to get the bees to fill them. I have used simple shallow supers and thin surplus foundation and had good luck with cut comb. As for marketing, I seem to have an easier time selling comb honey. It's a novelty I think. Samples are always a good idea, because most people don't know what raw honey tastes like, let alone the freshness of comb honey. It's like grinding your coffee beans right before you make the coffee. All that freshness sealed up in the comb.

Clay,

I would really be interested in learning the Killion method. I have ordered the book that you recommended.

Thanks

Dave

hi Dave
    I have been doing the roo rounds nearly as long as they been on the market.
    its not too hard and you can sell most of them as fast as you producwe them.
    they are going for4.00 to 4.50 ea.
    I sell them wholesale for 3.50 ea as you know they are 8oz. which brings you 7.00# not bad for little trouble.
    I have found that 8 frame hives do better as the 10 frame hives never get the outer ones filled.
    you need a good strong hive to do this.
    I found health food stores buy them like crazy.
    good luck==Don

Cool

I am thinking of trying the Hogg Half Comb next year. Has anyone out there tried them? I like the prices on the Ross Rounds and I am also going to give them a try. I have a bad back and can't handle the large supers so I thought the comb would be a lot easier for me th handle. I would like any input I can get.Feel free to e-mail me.

------------------
    Earl

I think I am going to try the top bar hive for doing comb next year. I am interested in seeing the do all that work. and might as well sell some of it too.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

If it's your back you're concerned about, I have built four frame half boxes to lighten them. Plus the 10 frame shallows aren't that bad either.

Also it helps to run a more horizontal hive. I do this too.

Hi, I see this is a littpe delayed but mabe this will help. I am a new bee man this year . What i did is load my honey supers on a few hives half medium size plastic frames and half wood frames with comb honey foundation. This worked well, the girls filled and capped the comb first . I just swapped out empties for the capped stuff. Once I got the stuff home I used a cutter to chop it into 8 oz chunks. Droped them into boxes and sold them at $4 per lbs. I was selling as fast as I could pack it. the I hope this helped Thanks Dan