Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckfast Queens

Where could I get the Buckfast Queens? I would like to stay away from Texas and the African bees
    Thanks, I'm up here in Maine

Does Munro Honey sell Buckfast queens? I looked over the whole site and all they offer are "Mite Resistant Queens" and make no mention of what kind they are.

Hiya Dunhamfarm, Greenwood is nice country- I've spent a lot of time over there poking around old mines.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Look in Ontario...maybe the Ontario Bee Breeders Assoc.

I tried Munro, They need to ship 20 at a time across the border to break even.
    Thanks

I google Buckfast Queen bee and found Draperbee.com handles buckfast queens. Pembroke

Bill Draper gets his from Texas, my 1st. hive of buckfast came from them in 1993.

[size="1"][ February 09, 2007, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Are there any real Buckfast around anymore?
    Dulcius ex asperis

I'm confident in a conversation (10 yrs. ago) I had with Dennis VanEnglsedorp he indicated that the university of Qwelth had a line of buckfast and expected they would be available soon commercially through local beekeepers. Maybe Bjorn could check with Dennis or perhaps someone should contact them and find out and let us all know. Of course they would not be available in spring but could be great for fall requeening.

[size="1"][ February 10, 2007, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Joel, I'm headed up to the state office on Monday. I'll ask.

Joel, I tryed to PM you and your mailbox is full.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Bjorn,
    I would also be very interested in Canadian or Danish Buckfast. My understanding is that Draper sells the same stock as the Weaver's.

"Qwelth had a line of buckfast"

Is that the university of Guelph Ontario?

They started a mite tolerance selection program about 10 years ago now. I'm not sure how far they have progressed.

Darrel Jones

they progressed very far in tracheal mite resistance. I believe they are making progress with varroa resistance. The Ontario beekeepers have a tech transfer program. Beekeepers can send a frame of emerging brood to test for tracheal mite resistance. They do other things as well, at least they have a program with a plan and are making measurable progress.

There are some buckfast breeders in Ontario. The University of Guelph did the original importation.

Jean-Marc

Mark, I cleared my box, try again!

Darrell, I had my tongue over my eye teeth when I typed that and could not see what I was saying!!

Jean Marc or Bjorn, I assume the orginal stock was imported from The Abbey as opposed to the Alamo. Is this correct and are you aware of any queen breeders advertising Buckfast?

[size="1"][ February 11, 2007, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Joel:

Indeed the original importation was from the Abbey. I think there are 3 guys that sell Buckfast queens in Ontario. I think 1 is Monty's Beesness (Paul Montoux 905 768-5530). Geoff Wilson (Davies Apiaries 613 387-3171). I'm not sure but I thought there were 3 outfits selling Buckfast queens but I did a goggle search of Ontario Bee Breeders and only saw these 2 names.

Jean-Marc

Some years ago, I got very good Buckfast Queens from Mrw. Rossy Castillo in Chile. I'm in contact to her and she wrote me an email that she will sell Queens in March/April. Here you can contact her: rossybee@terra.cl

Greetings, Klaus

[size="1"][ February 13, 2007, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Klaus Maresch ][/size]

Jean-marc:

Munro Honey is also in Ontario. That would make three, with the other two you listed.

Joel:

I had the impression from reading Mark Winston's "From Where I Sit" that he had little contact with Buckfast bees. He was at the University of Guelph when that book was published in 1998. Did they acquire Buckfast bees after he wrote the essay on the Buckfast bees, or maybe he just didn't work with those bees, or maybe I have it all wrong? I'll have to look up his essay on Buckfast bees.

The problem I see with the suggestions so far is that all of the sources are still outside of the U.S. Importation is still a problem for a beekeeper looking for just a few queens.

Dunhamfarm:

Have you considered trying to find some other beekeepers near you who might also like some Buckfast queens and ordering as a group from one of the Canadian suppliers?

Well, summer before last Davies tried to ship to the US, but customs wouldn't let them through. Davies said they would refund the money, but I never heard from them again and the e-mail address I had became undeliverable. I was sharing an order for 4 queens with another Oregonian. We both lost our money.

I know it wasn't Davies fault, but they did say they would refund, then never did. I'm not sure if I'd try to order from Canada again.

Pugs

Kieck, It's probably me that has things Bass Ackwards as I got the information 2nd hand and I I'm pretty certain it was 1997-1998 period which means Winton would have known. I heard from Bjorn that Ontario Bee Breeders was the place to check. Dennis V. and I got into some animated discussions about his opinion Canadian Buckfasts could outperform any 2 queen units so I wanted to try them. (even though I know he was wrong )

[size="1"][ February 13, 2007, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast