I purchased three nucs this year from the same person I got them from last year. Last year I had to drive about an hour to get the bees. This year they delivered them to my town. The guy that delivered them picked them up elsewhere and that evening opened all the nucs to "let them fly around". When I received the nuc (which went up $10 this year) I was surprised at the amount of bees. Seemed to be way less than last year. Also, they were in a cardboard nuc and getting out and flying everywhere - including in my car. A friend also commented on the lack of bees. I emailed both him and the supplier and commented about him letting them out and the small qty. of bees. Am I being petty? Should he have let them out in his yard? Does it really matter? By the way - neither he nor the supplier replied to my e-mail.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

I'm guessing these were 5 frames nucs. Did you have 3 frames of open brood, and capped brood? Were there 2 frames of honey and pollen?

They were only 4 frame nucs.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I think the $10.00 price change is a none issue. Costs go up and you did not have to drive 2 hours to get the nucs.

When did he pick up the nuc?
    How long were they in the cardboard nuc box?
    What kind of ventilation did the cardboard box provide?

If the nuc was closed up for "delivery" during the day after the nuc was already flying, there goes alot of bees. If the nuc was not closed bee tight, there goes some more bees.

How many frames of brood did you get?

How many frames are covered with bees? If they were getting out when you got them maybe a lot got out along the way? I think they should at least respond.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yes, I do understand that things go up and I didn't have to drive. You are right about it not being an issue.

We only had one frame of brood. And you are right Michael - they were flying all over the barn where I picked them up.

I'm not sure how long they were in the nuc. There were some nice screens on the sides of the nucs though for ventilation.

I went to pickup some nucs once during the day. They were all flying around and not closed up. Having driven half a day to get there, I was tempted to take what i had and go. He put a screen on and we watched as a huge mass of foragers returned to be trapped out of the nuc. I decided to return later that evening (after driving around in town which wasn't enjoyable). If he didn't seal them tight the night before he delivered, he got himself a lot of free bees.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

If you pull the top off of a hive (or nuc) and wait about thirty minutes the hive will "regroup". The bees will start fanning nasonov, not many will leave and the foragers will stay as they return. In about thirty minutes almost all of them will be home and staying. Then close it up and go. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF