Thread: Essential oils

I have read that Eucalyptus oil helps fight against V. mites and AFB, and I have a lot of those trees growing around my place do the oils in the tree transfer into the honey and pollen? And has any one tried any Essential oils besides wintergreen? has any one tryed anise oil? I have a bunch of that growing around and got a lot of honey from it. don't know if it even does anything. Maybe I'll try it anyway...

Joseph

I have only used oils for my bees. I blend peppermint, wintergreen and oregano in my sugar syrup. My hives are healthy and I have had no problems. I only feed in the fall and spring so as to not have my honey smelling and tasting like the oils. I am going to try USNEA, I have been told this is excellent for AFB and Nosema.

Phillip

How much wintergreen do you use to a quart?

I will put in about 10 drops of each and will reuse the same oil as it rises to the top of the syrup. I do use quart jars with entrance feeders but I put them on top with a empty super then a top cover. I have used leciten before to help emulsify the oil in the syrup but I did not do that this year. You have to be carefull not to use to much because even essential oil can get to toxic levels.

The oils emulsify much better in Honey. I'll mix them with honey first. I try to do this ahead of time, but I've done it just minutes before or a year before. The oil mixes with the honey, then you can mix the honey with sugar syrup. I mix about one part honey to two or three parts sugar syrup.

I have been useing all the oils for over5 yrs now =no mites or hive beettles.
    also good for wax moths.
    I been useing about 30 drops of wintergreen to a qt. of honeys=like it better then sugar water as it will stay mixed better.
    afb=efb is not affected by the use of oils its good stuff but not on that.
    Don

Have you heard of grandpa's beard or usnea? you can use it for anything you would need a antibiotic for. It is a distilled form from a plant that is kind of like moss. very powerfull stuff. If you type the name USNEA in yahoo or go to any health food store you can find it. good luck
    Phillip

I've never heard of it, do you feed it just like the essential oils?
    Joseph
    jtjrson@aol.com

I read on an organic beekeeping site that you can brew a tea of usnea, goldenseal and ecchinacea to add to your spring feeding that will help build up bee resistance to disease. I guess the general idea is that if it works in people, it will work in bees also. Anyone tried it?

you feed it just like you do the oils. mix with surgar water it dissolves better.

I was thinking about making a tea with anise leaves and mixing a few cups of it in with a gallon of sugar water, would this help the bees or or cause digestive problems?
    Joseph
    Jtjrson@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Got Honey? (edited September 01, 2002).]