Thread: Entrance Size

A Devries Guest

Who is using the 3/8" opening rather than the 3/4" for the entrance? What are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other? I was told western beekeepers prefer the smaller openings while eastern ones use the larger.
    Albert

Howdy A --

The 3/8" entrance has been my favorite for
    about 40 years. I started this when it was
    observed that wax moths were crawling down the front of the hive and into the entrance
    OVER the guard bees - giving free access to the interior.

To increase ventilation, a 3/8" x 2" slot
    is cut into the upper side of the inner cover.

Doc

I have slatted racks so I haven't tried this, but around here it's popular to take a 4" wide piece of 3/8" plywood and put three 3/8" laths under it. One at each end and one in the middle. This breaks the draft coming in the door a little (like a slatted rack does) and reduces the entrance to 3/8".

A Devries Guest

Micheal is it true that out your way when the wind stops blowing the cows fall over? Also isn't the humidity is lower than here? The lath and 3/8 plywood sounds interesting. I think I have to agree with Doc. The smaller entrance is easier to defend. I watched a ant try to get in a hive with a 3/8" opening yesterday it got turned back time after time. I have some with 3/4" openings and some with 3/8" I'll have to watch and see which works better.
    Albert

>Micheal is it true that out your way when the wind stops blowing the cows fall over?

Yes they do.

>Also isn't the humidity is lower than here?

Not sure what kind of humidity you have. We have lower here than when I lived in Southern Illinois but more than when I lived in Western Nebraska or Larimie WY. Pretty strange to get 80% or 90% here. Probably runs more around 20% to 30% most of the time.