Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pollenation contracts

7K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Bob Harrison 
#1 ·
I would like to check with others on the prices per month charged for each hive for pollenation.
I normally charge $50.00 pre month for strong double deep hives and I keep the honey and maintain the hives.
The reason I ask is that I have one client that had 100 of my hives for the past 8 years who refused to pay. When I went to pick up the hives he called the sherrif and had me barred from picking up my hives saying that they were his. I had to take this matter to court and prove that the hives were mine. All were branded with my name and address so I got back the hives but even though I had a signed contract from 2 months ago agreeing on the price, number of hives, and honey ownership the judge would not order the payment on the contract because the price was too high for just bees. I have 400 other hives within 60 miles and have had no problems getting payment and had no complaints about the price. I was able to place the 100 hives I picked up in about 4 hours.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

#3 ·
Almond pollination for the coming season will be in the 45-50 range on average,so 50 per hive isnt excessive.And you had a contract.What was that judge smoking?Sorry to hear about the crook trying to steal your hives and beat you out of the pollination money.I KNOW how much work pollination is.

#4 ·
Some advertised outfits like buckeye bees out of Ohio openly qoute prices of $60 per hive with a minimum number. I don't have the e-mail site but under bees they always pop up. It would of been nice to have the judge/district justice pop up a few quotes from the internet.

Around here anywhere from 25 to 40 dollars is the normal range. It is very competitive though as I live in the middle of apple country. Alot of it has to do with the type of beekeeper and the size of the outfit. It seems as if there are alot of "hobbiest" who pollinate for fun. I guess money is not important as they do it just for the site. I guess they dont value the service they provide.

Reg Wilbanks told me about a time a few years back when some of his hives dissapeared in Georgia. He took a private plane up and on the third day he found them. Said that if it was allowed to happen once it would continue again. Put a stop real fast. Also mentioned about branding frames. Said he heard of some going out and opening up empty boxes. Guess that the real value - bees and frames.

#5 ·
I mark every new frame top bar with a black felt marker(initials and date)The ink soaks in and when coated with wax by the bees will last for years.Not as good as branding,but faster.The idea is to make a thief think twice about stealing combs.Having your name all over the hives is also good.A sheriff pulled my truck over late one night .He said bees were being stolen and wanted to know whose hives were on the truck.I pointed to my name on the boxes and showed my drivers license and that was good enough.I thanked him for being concerned enough to check.

#6 ·
Hhmmm..Sorry to hear you've been rolled over by the judge Clint.Is there any chance of an appeal of some sort..?

I don't brand my frames either,but do the same as Mike and use a black marker.Not as good as a brand but it's better than nothing.

Down here I hire my bees out for Avocardo pollination at US$110.00 per hive for the 6 week period they are needed.

jim

#9 ·
If the issue before the court was to resolve ownership of the hives, then that is all that they will resolve, and you will have to bring a seperate action to recover the contractually due pollination fees. As to $$ amount that is typical, this has little meaning, as the only important $$ amount is the amount that was agreed to. Fees vary too much region to region and crop to crop.

#12 ·
The court case was to establish ownership and the case right after was to settle the money. The local atdourney that I hired said he figures that we are against a good ol boy network in this county. I could spend a lot of money fighting or just move on. I MOOVED ON!!!
My attouneys in Michigan agreeded.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose

#15 ·
Not according to this judge but he says I can appeal his decision if I want to spend the money. Reserching the problem I have found 2 different insurance companies that say to avoid this county for business or pleasure. So
I'LL NOT BEE BACK !!!
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose

#17 ·
suggest you donate any of your aggresive hives to this bunch of Unamerican, Anti-freedom, Bagdad lovin yocals.

What separates us from the unfree world is law, truth and justice.

Give me this Judge's name and address and I will personally write a letter on how I feel. I've got a buddy whose son is in Bagdad as we speak trying to stay alive for the principals we believe in. These are not the principals of theft of property of ignoring the law.

Heck, forget the address, send me his phone number!

#19 ·
Yes indeed we live in a free land, and you are correct to express all of your freedoms here in this grest land. One thing that needs to be adressed in our bussness {beekeeping} is that we all need to work together not in a price fixing mode but in the name of good commerce. We have quite a problem getting and keeping farmers on the right page that we work for, regarding sprayings, movements of the hives, and cropping systems. Then to have them either not pay you or tie up your payments to suite thier own operating needs is a problem. Also there is always the risk that some others right here in our own circle will under bid the work to make a fast buck not knowing that it is costing to do the job. Makes a heavey cross to bear also. Hope that we all make a good life with the bees, and all thier wonders is what keeps me going full steam. Gary in southwest okla

------------------

#21 ·
Does anyone know where to get stats which reflect the difference between crops pollinated by commercial bee keepers and crops left to mother nature. i.e. differences in yeilds.

Miki ...You might try researching some of the Colleges that have programs dealing with Bees and Pollination ...perhaps Cornell University...or something out of Bee culture ..or other magazines ...Rick

#22 ·
Sorry to restart an old thread - BUT

I have been selling my spring honey via a sign on my mail box. Today a local farmer stopped by and ask about pollination of his mellon crop. He was so excided to find a local beekeeper he did more talking that I did.

Since I am just a hobbiest, I had not considered doing pollination, but he ask about renting 3 hives and named a price of $50 per hive. His farm is only about 6 miles from my home so it is not a big problem in delivering the bees or keeping up with my 'fogging' schedule.

Is there any big concerns that I should worry about - other that getting a basic signed contract.

In addition to mellons, he said he had about 5 acres of sunflowers and that there were other local produce farms in the area.

#23 ·
Clint, that's a pretty outrageous story you tell. Refusing to pay you is one thing, and that's bad enough. Trying claim your hives are his takes a lot of gall.

I approve of your approach- bee gone. This country is all to litigious to begin with. Cut your losses and move on.

FYI, here in Maine they pay $52-$62 per hive, (at 2-3 hives per acre) for about a month of Blueberry pollination.

JohnBeeMan: It sounds like you have a good opportunity to setup a nice out apiary.

George-

#24 ·
JohnBeeMan
GET A CONTRACT!!! In the contract state clearly the price and time allowed also that you take care of the hives and move the hives. Who is responsible for the hives should anyone use pesticides and kill your hives because I have had farmers spray pesticides then notify me 24 hours later. I put the value of the bees in the contract as $250.00 That way I am notified when the farmer or his neighbors are going to do anything
Clint

#26 ·
Huh? Oh yeah.At the time it seemed 50 was going to be in the ballpark.But things changed rapidly as it became apparent that thousands of hives were dead and dying mainly from varroa that hadnt responded to the treatments.So the price escalated rapidly.I will guess that most went in at around 80 to 85.00.Many others had contracted earlier around 65.00 and honored that price.Last minute orders were close to 100.A very few went for 125.Of course its not possible to know what everyone charged,but my take is that the 100 level was above average,last minute desperation price.Right now I wouldnt even want to guess where prices will be this coming Feb.There could be a glut as everyone seems to have made increase to take advantage of the higher prices.On the other hand varroa is still very much with us and will take its toll before spring.And who can say how many out of state hives will show up? Within a few years as the many thousands of new acres come into production,more hives will be needed than are currently available.Almond pollination is the only bright spot I see in this business.Forget honey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.