I started with two packages this spring. Both got VERY overpopulated quick, so I did a split on one, leaving the other alone (two deeps and two supers) because my partner decided he wanted some honey this year, to heck with the bees). Well, the hive I did the split from made queens, and swarmed three times (that I know of) before settling down. The split (one deep with a shallow supper) swarmed Thursday. I can hear a queen piping in the old hive. I caught the swarm and put it on top of the old one (double screen board) and that's fine. Yesterday, between thunderstorms, the other origional two-deep hive decided to swarm...LARGE ball of bees way up in a big pine...oh well. Decent weather today, so I decided to go in and see what was left. Still tons of bees, but here's my questions;
I found that they had basically glued the bottom of the frames of the top deep to the top of the lower with drone and queen cells (nasty mess). I pulled four frames from one side and gave them to the just -captured swarm...two of honey, and two of what I expected to be capped brood. I'm suprised to find that there were actually eggs in some of the cells! I'd read that an about to swarm queen stopped laying, and you'd only find capped brood? Anyway, I stopped there and replaced the frames with just foundation 'til ya'll tell me what I should do next. I was afraid that if I pulled the rest of the frames, I might kill all the queen cells (though there are likely more in the lower deep?). My fear is, since there are still tons of bees, and lots of swarm cells, I'll be seeing them throw several more swarms, leaving me with something too weak to overwinter here in NH. Could there be a second queen already in there (considering the eggs), should I make more room by removing more frames so the first queen that hatches likes the looks of the place and stays... you get the idea a lot better than I do. Hurricane Charlie will be here tomorrow, so they will likely be hunkered down like me. Thanks