Hybrid View

This morning was g-day, had two plastic garbage cans with those stretch bunji cord locks sitting at end of drive way, this morning there were no cans. Upon investigation I found them across the dirt road in the bushes with a lot of weeds and golden rod knocked down level. Paper and refuse spilled down the new path where the bags were dragged. Immediately "Houston we have a problem" entered my mind. It is raining but now the new fence is up and electrified. strange how an event can change your priorities,lucked out this time and don't want them in my hives.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

We live in bear country, only I never see any during hunting season. This summer we had a big boar working in the creekbottom back of my home yard. I still haven't put a fence around the bees yet, he hasn't seemed to bother them yet...maybe it will take a destoried hive to get me to put up a fence. The rest of my yards have fences.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

They add a whole new dimension to walking the 30 yards to the honey house in the dark that's for sure. They seldom ever destroy just one!!

I winter all my hives less than 100 yards from my house, in bear country, without a fence (stupid me...I fence the summer outyards, but am too lazy to fence the single winter yard...go figger) and I've only had a bear get into one hive...and that one he only knocked a super off, leaving the brood chamber open. I put the super back on and that turned out to be one of my best hives this year...

BubbaBob

S. W. \'Washington State, Columbia River Gorge

In my small yard, 2 to 4 hives, I have set up a spotlight and a small radio on a timer set to go on about dark and off at first light. Seems to work but not sure. I have seen bears about 100 ft from the hives with the sound and light. Lsst fall I had bumper crop of apples on a tree near the hives. I put the dog on a chain about 25 ft from the hive. One morning I went out and about 20 ft from the hive and the dog, I found a huge pile of bear poop with apple remains in it. Go figure. Fired the dog. About 6 years ago a bear came in and wrecked two hives, this was before the light and music.

BB- He probably saw you shootin at that deer naked at 5:00 AM and thought better of it!

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Make sure that you bait the fence to get the most out of the fence.
    A bear's coat will insulate it against the fence's charge.
    You have to get them on the snout or in the mouth.

Any of you use chicken (or welded type) wire ground "mat's" in front of yours?
    I got my fence hot,but skipped that part,wondered how others felt,before I bother,as I have alot of time/$ already.
    I have a small drag that I use with my ATV to do food plots and thought about keeping the perimeter always ripped up to insure a good ground,think that would work?
    And,what do you think of the solar chargers?I thought they worked o.k....anyway I couldn't take the bacon off

Joel...yer a sick puppy...

BubbaBob

The solar fences are great. Don't have them around the bees yet, but the llama, goats, pigs, dogs, and predators really respect them. I wear rubber soled shoes, but when I test with shoes off...nice unpleasant blast of electricity. Solar chargers also don't mess with your house tv or computer reception or cause probs for house in a lightening strike. And of course, you don't need to plug it in!

I'll be putting another one around the bee yard in the spring after I get the rest of the brush around it cut (cost for charger, posts, and wire is about $150)...right now the brush is goldenrod and don't want to cut yet.

By the way....can anyone give me a hint on how to move the pigs now that they have "met" the electric fence with their snouts? I took a section down to get them out to other area I need weeded and nothing doing! They stayed put in their denuded pasture.
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

I'm surprised at how lax beekepers here are with the bears.
    We have real populations of bears around here, see them almost daily this time of year.
    If you get caught with hives, garbage, chicken food or any attractant you will be fined out this way.
    A garbage bear is a dead bear.
    It doesn't matter what fence you have if a bear has already tasted your honey- he will go right through it. You really have to keep them out from the begginning or you'll be the one calling the conservation officer complaining about the 'bad bears this year'. Then they shoot it.

Mabe, have you tried driving them with a line of wire from behind? They're smart little things, and they sure remember that bite from the fence! That's basically what we had to do when we wanted ours moved.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

any of you guys ever eaten bear? if so how is it?

Danny
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

We get a lot of bear up here but have never had them bother anything,I wouldn't know about the hives as I haven't started my colonies yet.

I don't know about the rest of you but to me there is nothing better then Bear meat.

What we do worry about here is the mountain lions,they aren't no joke.
    Anybody ever walked up on one at night? I have and don't care to do it again anytime soon. That's another story though.

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the wire idea! Will let you know in a private how it works!!!
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

<<can anyone give me a hint on how to move the pigs >>

Just put their food in the new pasture