Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Smallest possible Nucs

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  John Russell 
#1 ·
I am trying to master splits this year, last year I had decent sucess but not as many opertunitys to do so. I have a couple of extra queens, but I have plundered all of my strongest hives and would have to take brood from my moderates. Can I make a nuc from only one frame of capped and larva stage brood and nurse bees IF I keep it isolated and in perfect enviromental conditions? I know some will say the risk isnt worth it but I just would like to know.

J.R.

#2 ·
It is a difficult struggle for that small amount of bees to survive. At least it is here this time of year when one day it's 85 F and the next is 35 F. But they may survive and even thrive if the weather cooperates, they don't get robbed out and they don't all abandon the weak hive and drift to a strong one instead.

I've started hives from 2 medium frame mating nucs before but that was in late summer when it doesn't get so cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.