Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Read the question and answer section found on this page about "What's up with all the bees?" The guys claims to be an expert and says something about a fungus in feral colonies...anybody ever heard of such a thing? see the url below:
    I don't know if copying and pasting this will work. You may have to copy and paste one section at a time onto the URL line in order to access it since it won't fit onto this page in a single line.
    http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...&PAG=461&rfi=9

Jason G

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Here's the actual segment copied and pasted in case you can't follow the URL:

Q: What's up with all these honey bees? We see them in water meters and in the soffits around our house and in the neighbors homes. How do we get rid of them? Why are there so many?

A: As I've mentioned in other articles, (I get many inquiries on bees every week), the answer is very obvious. We are building and developing at an incredible rate, taking up more and more green space. Now I'm all for progress, that's a good thing. But along with progress comes a few problems. As we assimilate more and more green space, the creatures inhabiting these areas still have to survive. They can adapt very easily. Consequently they set up housekeeping anywhere they can. Up until a few years ago, Florida law required calling an apiary, or beekeeper, to remove the bees and their honey combs. However, in the last few years a fungus has developed in the honey combs of wild bees. Beekeepers will not co-mingle wild bees with their domestic bees for fear of spreading this fungus their honey "crop." So the law changed and the honey bees can be exterminated by you or a licensed pest control operator. The problem is not only killing the bees, which incidentally can be a dangerous undertaking, but now you have to remove the honey and the honeycomb. Why? The honey becomes fodder for ants or rodents. Now you have to deal with getting rid of these pests. This is one situation in which I encourage you to enlist the aid of a pest control company with the experience needed to solve this problem. They have the safety equipment, the chemicals and the experience.

We have been the pest control company for Florida Water Services (now Marco Island Utilities). Last month alone we had to remove honey bee nests from almost 100 water meters. Now I'm sure the environmentalists are concerned about the effect killing all these bee colonies will have in the long run. You may find this hard to believe, but even as a pest control operator I too am an environmentalist. I assure you there are plenty of bee colonies in the Everglades and many other protected areas where they can thrive. We are quite aware that without bees there would be no crops. Pollination is one of the bees' primary duties along with manufacturing delicious honey. By the way, my wife Jackie takes four tablespoons of buckwheat honey a day. It builds up your immune system.

Hmmm.. beats me.I guess he is maybe confusing mites and beetles with a fungus.Chalkbrood is a fungus but we have been dealing with that for a long time.Really cant say what he meant unless there is something new coming out of Fla.(hope not)

I'm with loggermike. I think the guy is just confused. The only "NEW" things around that people don't want in their apiar are the SHB and the Varroa.

And the only fungus isn't new.

But it was in the newspaper (or on the web) so it HAS to be true.

I sure would question if they are even "honeybees". Around here in MN, in the fall the hornets are bad, trying to get in any crack or crevasse they can, to hide for the winter. Unless Florida bees are that much different, I find it hard to believe they are discussing the same insect.

Angry

Sounds to me like he's a salesman. "No, don't call a beekeeper, they don't want 'em anyway. Lemme just spray this into your walls...

I agree with Chellesbees. Honeybees hanging around the water meters? This is a new wrinkle. My wife's family have been Florida natives since before the Civil War, and my father-in-law is a veteran air-conditioning contractor who has spent 50 years crawling around attics. He has never mentioned honeybees being a problem. Wasps, mud-dabblers, hornets, yellow jackets, yes to all the above. This is very likely a "case of mistaken identity."

Marco Island, where this article originated, is dominated by people who moved to the southwest Gulf Coast from way up north. When I lived in Bradenton years ago, I saw a lot of "culture shock" from people who dreamed of finding a utopia in the Sunshine State, but learned that living there is different from vacationing there, in particular on the bug front. People who aren't familiar with fire ants get very upset, for example, to learn that just mowing your lawn in "paradise" can be a painful experience. And your typical Florida roaches, well, that really blows people into the Panic Zone. So it follows logically to me that anything vaguely bee-like might be called a honeybee.

As for there being a ton of feral bees in the Everglades, somebody ought to ask the rangers who work there. Did all the varroa and tracheal mites stop at Disney World? It's more likely that the vast commercial tomato (and strawberry) fields found inland from that lower Gulf Coast have colonies for pollination

Mark;
    Tomatos are wind pollinated.
    Ox

Tomatoes are wind pollinated as they provide no nectar and do not atract honeybees. For those tomatoes grown in a greenhouse, bumblebees are often used in pollination.

Kurt

jfischer Guest

Is there a fungus amongus? No.

But are there bees around water meters?
    Sometime yes. Water meters are often
    buried in metal enclosures with metal
    covers that have a nice bumblebee (and/or
    wasp, yellow jacket...) sized hole in the
    middle to lift off the cover.

But honeybees would only rarely pick an
    enclosure like that in which to set up
    shop. Bumblebees love "underground".
    Yellowjackets love "underground".
    Honeybees would rather live in a cardboard
    box.

So, the guy was a moron without access to
    even basic reference material. Happens
    all the time. Dunno about you folks, but
    my phone started ringing last weekend with
    all sorts of questions about africanized
    bees. After the 5th call, I asked "Why
    is this suddenly of interest?". I was told
    that the SciFi channel (on cable) had
    run a pair of movies where bees were
    the "monster", attacking and kill civilians.

Isn't AFb a fungus ( spore?)
    Not that this dude isn't demonstrating that a little bit of knowlege is a dangerous thing but....perhaps this is what he was refering to?

J.R.