Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Miki,
    What program do I need to open this program in?
    I cant seem to open it?

Thank you

It's written to open in Microsoft Access automatically.

PS: Thanks for writing this neat program!

Thanks Miki.......... I have enjoyed it for awhile.

Ultimate software for me would be one that integrates with QuickBooks Pro. That would track purchases, inventory, assets, liabilities, billing, bill paying, wages, etc. All tied to honey and pollination.

Hi Danno,
    Thanks for the help. I don't have Microsoft Access,wish I did as this seems like a neat program.
    Can it be opened with another program?

Thank you

Hill's Hivery:

Can you supply some details about your application? What language is it written in? What database does it use? What is it's native platform? What are the prospects for cross-platform compatibility?

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

George,

I kinda assumed your earlier post about thin client/web based blah blah was kidding.
    now I think maybe you're serious
    I write a lot of that kinda stuff
    I was thinking about writing something like that but I decided that installation and administration was to heavy. (average folks don't want to setup mysql)
    I'm playing with a pure java app now
    I'm using derby

http://db.apache.org/derby/

it's a database you can embed in an application so no admin is involved
    java rocks. write once, run anywhere
    so just a fat client with embedded database
    do you really see an advantage to the thin/web approach?
    I could do it either way

Just lookin for ideas
    Dave

BTW:linux rules [img]smile.gif[/img]

>>I kinda assumed your earlier post about thin client/web based blah blah was kidding.
    now I think maybe you're serious

I was completely serious.

>>I was thinking about writing something like that but I decided that installation and administration was to heavy. (average folks don't want to setup mysql)

Granted, setup and configuration can be more involved, but it's not rocket science. Good documentation goes a long way. I did it for a living for 10 years- that and writing documentation, designing database schemas, hacking CGI applications and generally making a nusiance of myself.

I think the thin-web client/server approach is alive and well and will be for a long time. Furthermore, it's ideal for a centralized shared application- one database, one server, many clients...

I too have been thinking of putting something together for beekeeping management- probably with perl and mysql, maybe PHP, perhaps just for myself and maybe as something I can sell and/or support- but that's getting ahead of myself. It's been quite a while (a couple of years) since I was heavily involved in software development and a lot has changed. I have changed too. I also have some friends still in the business that I could probably entice into collaborating on a project.

Never heard of derby, but the Apache folks are first class and their web server is the defacto internet standard. I used to run it myself- actually I still administer a couple of sites on it, as well as my own. I'll pop over and take a look at derby.

I'm not particularly interested in throwing my time, energy, and support into a poorly designed and/or implemented application. 99.9% of most software written is worthless junk and for Microsoft applications, the percentage can be even higher [img]smile.gif[/img]

George-
    http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/
    Dulcius ex asperis

Hallelujah, amen. also enroute to derby. never heard of it. Willing to learn. linux rocks. Java greases the world.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

I looked at the program from MIKI and it is nice. I do like it a lot. However, one thing I would like to see is a function that you can use to know what the hive looks like. For example, if hive #6 has a SBB, two deeps, and one super, than the program should allow youto draw the current set up of hive number 6.

I guess the reality is that nothing beats the paper and pensil method. Everyones operations differ so much and things that Sundance might want, I might not want and things I want, he might not want.

Its either paper and pencil, adapt to a program that is all ready written that might have too much stuff to use or too little to use, or hire (or make it yourself) a prograsm that fits your operation. That might be the way to go.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

derby used to be an IBM product called cloudscape
    they opensourced it and donated the codebase to the apache folks about a year ago. It's pretty cool, you can embed a full fledged SQL database right inside your application.

my original idea was to write something like George described and let anyone on this forum (or anywhere else) use it and then maybe we could coalate the data and see what's working and what's not. kindof a community thing. I kinda had my doubts how many people would want to participate.
    Feedback??

this thread is great, as a rookie beekeeper my ideas of what features would be useful are limited
    keep the comments coming

Dave

Without having dug into derby very much, I can't comment except to say if the Apache group is involved, it can't be all bad [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd be happy to cooperate on a software project, perhaps in a database analyst and design role- my most recent formal training, at least to begin with. I never got into Java- when I was getting going programming, they couldn't get their scroll bars working right. It's come a long way. I worked mostly with Perl, Mod-Perl, and PHP. I got quite fond of Mysql and to some extent, Postgres. I still believe SQL was written and documented by Martians.

I could probably also provide access to a web and database server for development. Probably ought to talk to the administrator before I make any promises. In any case, I won't have much time to do more than ponder and comment until winter sets in- I've got too much to do between now and then.

I'm also still very interested in what Hill's Hivery has up their sleeve.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

I'd be willing to contribute on one using MySql and PHP as it would parallel what I am trying to learn right now. Don't know how much help I would be, maybe break up duties and I could do one small part. I did have PHP working on my machine, but this board drags me away from fixing it. Ok, here I go to fix it, later everyone.

George

yea, java's come a long way
    that scrollbar stuff was back in the AWT days
    they have a whole new GUI library now
    the really kool thing is, I can write an app, that with only changes to 2 lines of code, can run as either

1) a standalone fatclient app with an embeded database (way kool on it's own)

2) an applet hosted in a page in a browser that talks to a mysql database on the server it came from (thin client)

I've got kindof a shell put together, I'll try to make it available for folks to comment on in the next couple of days.

I don't want to step on Hill's Hivery's toe's here, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while

Dave

How about for beginers like me and those with memory problems again like me an automatic calender of tasks. Something I can disable if I find it a bother. It would have tasks that I have manually scheduled as well as recommended taskes for my area. On that note, I can't remember if anyone suggested this, An almost tutorial for your area. Whether it's by hardiness zone or by zip code. Could have links or list of average bloom dates what would grow best in your area and what would make the best for a bee garden as well as the earlier mentioned tasks. Granted this is accessed in other areas but IMHO it would be nice to have a central area for access or link. If that is too much task saturation then could this be an option we could enter and set ourselves to automatically list or remind us? Thanks!

I only know MS programs this is what the Army uses. I am pretty sure it will not open in any other program. I tried to download a program for work that was written in MYSQL. My IMO guy could not even make it work with our system. I am always open to suggestions and will add anything to improve the program. One point I want to really stress is that this program is FREE!!!! to anyone and there are no passwords so it can be altered to suit individual needs, so share it with everyone!
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com